In/Out Boxes for Upper Desk Cabinet

I did some resawing and then made some box joints with the Incra iBox. This tool worked out real nice and relatively quick.
FWIW if you think you might like to buy a drum sander it makes drawers heights perfect after glue up, if they are 4" tall or less.
I used the drum sander to smooth out and finalize the 1/4" thickness of the oak for these boxes and than used it to adjust the height to perfection.
For those of you that build lots of boxes and or drawers registering the sides to the fronts and backs sometimes does not come out like we would like. The drum sander makes every thing even.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8602053334/in/photostream/lightbox/
No wobble what so ever.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8600953399/in/photostream/lightbox/
You know I admire your work, Leon. But I have to say, one of the things I admire along with the craftsmanship is your ability turn out so many pieces and parts the same, and then assemble them to the exact tolerances you do.
One would think your drawers came off an automated assembly machine they are so identical. Nicely done.
BTW, did you make them out of solid oak?
Robert

Thank you Robert!

Solid white oak, and a who knows what plywood bottoms.

On 3/29/2013 7:42 PM, Leon wrote:

Magnificent, as usual.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/30/2013 9:13 AM, Swingman wrote:

Thank you. Next time you are out I will have to show you my new musical/whistling in/out boxes in action!
Almost all of them make a whistling sound as they are pushed in and out. Reverse them, front side in first and the whistle goes away. I have a compression thing going on. Before I drum sanded the tops and bottoms I had the cubby laying on its back with the holes openings facing up. I could drop the boxes in their slots and it would take a second or two for them to float to the bottoms of the hole. The more I sanded the tops and bottoms of the boxes the easier they became to push in and pull out. I could probably drill a hole in the back of each slot to eliminate the whistle but I think I'll keep the whistle. ;~)
On 3/30/2013 10:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Dixie?
<g, d&r>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/30/2013 10:15 AM, Swingman wrote:

LOL No, more like "Whistling Ducks"!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8602053334/in/photostream/lightbox/ No wobble what so ever. >> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8600953399/in/photostream/lightbox/
Excellent. Always like seeing your work.

A stretch: Maybe you should consider patenting the design!? Stranger things have developed from unusual results/discoveries. [Drilled holes: Incorporate bamboo slivers in the holes, for different notes. : )]
Sonny
On 3/30/2013 10:35 AM, Sonny wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8602053334/in/photostream/lightbox/ No wobble what so ever. >> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8600953399/in/photostream/lightbox/

have developed from unusual results/discoveries. [Drilled holes: Incorporate bamboo slivers in the holes, for different notes. : )]

Tune them by size and have the whistle play Pachelbel's Canon in D and you may be on to something. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/30/2013 10:35 AM, Sonny wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8602053334/in/photostream/lightbox/ No wobble what so ever. >> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8600953399/in/photostream/lightbox/

have developed from unusual results/discoveries. [Drilled holes: Incorporate bamboo slivers in the holes, for different notes. : )]

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I have 9 boxes so I would have enough to get all the basic notes in there. ;~)

With a little tuning and proper technique, you could get the drawers to do the classic wolf whistle. And we all know how much women like that! I am sure your female clients would feel flattered by the whistles. LOL
On 3/30/2013 1:08 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

He's got cylinders and pistons ... big part of getting that thing to run his office equipment is solved.