In our fondest dreams ...

Page 7 of 9  

What a presumptuous fool you are! I said nothing about what people should believe or how they should vote, or even whether they should be allowed to vote. I do believe that perhaps they shouldn't vote if they haven't made some effort in understanding the issues. Most don't, so we end up with a mess like we have currently.
With that comment, would you please not vote any more?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Reference your very words above, which I had quoted in my reply. You very clearly state the reason people don't vote. You further state that they are often too uninformed therefore should not vote. That is what I called you on. People vote on what is important to them. That is a very real part of the voting process. You don't have to like it, but that's life. It's not yours to decide if that qualifies them to vote, or to state that those who do not vote are simply too lazy.

I propose no such thing. You need to stop trying to assign thoughts and motives to other people. You only serve to embarass yourself when you are wrong.

You are too transparent. Those who disagree with you must all be asses.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Snip

No, people don't vote because they're too lazy, as is their right in any free state. Often they're too uninformed to have an educated opinion, so *SHOULDN'T* vote.
So you believe that the choices we get every election are the best possible candidates? ;~) Smirk.

No, voting for the "lesser of evils" certainly doesn't defeat any purpose. You're never going to be 100% happy with another controlling your life. Less is better than more.
Personally I will not vot for either evil... I'll not follow that flock of sheep.
You don't have to be 100% happy but you should be at least 20% happy with your pick.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And where might you propose they GET this education?
Anything short of source documents is pure partisan spin and commercial crap.
What do you suggest people do -- what most Americans do -- read NOTHING BUT things that support their partisan pre-conceived ideas of the world (aka "Confirmation Bias")?
What good does that do?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

And where might you propose they GET this education?
Anything short of source documents is pure partisan spin and commercial crap.
What do you suggest people do -- what most Americans do -- read NOTHING BUT things that support their partisan pre-conceived ideas of the world (aka "Confirmation Bias")?
What good does that do?
You might want to readdress that to Keith, I did not say that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

<please watch the quoting - not picking on you but rather Google's interpretation of you>

This has nothing to do with my point - IOW, a red herring.

So you'll just kibbitz from the sidelines: "Everyone else is wrong, but me.".

If you can't find someone to vote for that you're 20% happy with, perhaps you'd better start looking in a mirror. <Read any way you choose to>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you can't find someone to vote for that you're 20% happy with, perhaps you'd better start looking in a mirror. <Read any way you choose to>
Orrrrr not vote at all..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

As is your right, but do use that mirror if that's really the case.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:13:58 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

It has come down to voting for the lesser of several evils lately. <sigh>
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And to restate what I stated previously, why participate in such an atrocity.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:24:17 -0600, Leon wrote:

Because it helps keep the *greater* evil out of office :-).
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:24:17 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

What, you DON'T want a say in which asshole ruins your life?
Our Oregon Demonrats are trying to ruin our state now, too. Two corporation tax bills are on the special election next month/year. If either is enacted, up to 70,000 jobs could be lost and businesses would be taxed on their GROSS income, not their net. Brilliant, huh?
Why The American Revolution, v2, hasn't started yet, I'll never know. I feel certain that it's coming, and soon. I see too many very, very angry people every day now. Once people see their paychecks diminish and half their neighbors are out of work... Is your house ready to fend off rioters, if and when? Got stocks of food, water, batteries, and ammo? Gotcher BOB (bug-out bag) ready? Even if things don't go as sour as they look to, preparedness is a virtue.
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:49:25 -0800, Larry Jaques

That's all it ever has been. There never has been a time where the candidates will please everyone about everything. Even 80% for 80%.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Plenty of people don't vote for the same reason they don't pay their child support, don't show up for work on time, don't go back to school so they can get a better job, don't stop hanging out with their loser buddies from High School, don't stop spending all their spare money on dope and strip-bars, don't fix the dripping tap in the bathroom, don't plan for the future and so on and so forth--because they're losers who don't give a damn for much of anything but their immediate gratification. Do we seriously expect such people to take an interest in politics?
There are also people with poor education and little economic opportunity to speak of who live paycheck to paycheck. They don't vote because their parents didn't vote and they see no reason to break with tradition, their life never seems to get any better just because the other party wins office. Again, by what miracle should we expect these people to suddenly take a keen interest in civic affairs? And when someone goes into the inner city (or depressed rural areas) and registers such folks and helps them get to the polling place then we hear the sort of arguments recently posted here--such people shouldn't even be allowed to vote because they're not property-holders--it's enough to make one wonder if we shouldn't sign the country back to the British Crown.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes and no. If you truly believe that either one would do just as well as the other, then don't vote. If you believe that one would do a better job than the other, even if it is not the job you would like, then vote.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com wrote:

I've voted in every Presidential election from 1976 on. Only four times has the candidate I voted for won the election -- and only *one* of those four times did I really feel good about the vote I cast. Two-thirds of the time, I've voted for the candidate that I perceived as the lesser of two evils. The system of primary elections seems to somehow ensure that only mediocre candidates will receive a major-party nomination.

Yep. Same here, on both counts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Making voting mandatory is an interesting idea, 32 nations have done so and two-thirds of them enforce that requirement. Hmmmmm--don't vote and you pay a substantial fine (pegged to income)--that should get people's attention. Of course I'd also require that all ballots have a "None of the above" choice.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I think you would make a good citizen in Iran
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I think you take yourself and your political views a bit too seriously, either than or you just enjoy taking a gloomy view of everything. There are democratic nations that make voting mandatory and they haven't slid into despotism as you predict, so unclench your teeth a bit sport, you'll hurt yourself.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.