in defense of square dogs

Recenty the topic of square vs. round dog holes came up (again). It seems that each time people make the argument that round dogs allow you to do odd clamping. Round dogs can do this, but so can sqaure ones. Today I had to hold a "pointed end" workpiece.... something that could not be held easily by either a round or a square dog.
The solution was a custom holder fitted to both the dog and the workpiece. It took me about 120 seconds to fish through the scrap bin, scribe the workpiece, the dog, and to cut it to shape on the bandsaw.
Pics posted to ABPW.
To be fair, I have both round and square holes on my bench. I use the round holes with hold-fasts to apply downward pressure but generally not for lateral clamping.
-Steve
Once long ago when I was googling for something quite different, I came across the text of a chatroom visit with Frank Klausz. It sidetracked me for quite a while. Someone asked "Frank: square or round bench dogs?"
Frank was VERY definite. Square. They must be square. He and his father did not spend time with the chisels making square holes because they looked better. Round dogs will lose their grip with certain odd-shaped pieces, says he. THEY MUST BE SQUARE!
"I hope I do not hear any more questions about round bench dogs!", says he.
I got the distinct impression he felt very strongly about it.
I use round myself. Maybe I'll make square holes in the next bench.