IKEA, Walmart & wood supply

Check out
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/just-dont-ask-why-its-so-cheap/article1223954 /
Regards,
Luigi
: Check out
: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/just-dont-ask-why-its-so-cheap/article1223954 /
I'm not convinced -- seems like a diatribe to me.
    -- Andy Barss, happy Ikea customer

Me too, Andy. (I'm a Staron fabricator for IKEA)
STEP BACK!!! There are LOTS of SPARKS flying.... I mean.. talk about having an axe to grind.
They are catching all the dollars that WalMart and Stickley would like to catch. It is a niche product for a niche clientele. It is a success story-and-a-half..... and all that 'green' jibber- jabber? As IF no other AmeriCanadian corporation would LOVE to have the same success and NOT caring about 'green' shit.
Let's face it, IKEA is the poster child for capitalism.
Skeeeerew the detractors.

There's plenty to detract. I was also initially impressed with Ikea. Sure, I immediately realized I was being herded through its tricky marketing maze and all was not as it seemed. But, certain items were undeniable bargains. Four dollars for the same CFLs Home Depot was charging $15 for and $30 for essentially the same pot hanger rack Macy's was charging $100. I bought these great deals.
OTOH, I saw plenty of evidence of shoddy mechandise. I was going to buy a single bed w/ full length pull out drawer. Closer examination revealed construction similar to most of the rest of their cabinets/furniture, namely, thin stapled together composite board. IOW, junk! In a piece of marketing brilliance, they had the returns piled right next to the end-of-maze store exit for all to see. I know cheap crap when I see it and seeing exactly where each item failed/broke was more than enlightening. Poor design, cheap materials, and crappy quality abounded.
There are a few items making Ikea worth a visit. There's also a whole lotta garbage that's a total rip-off.
nb

Nt ll their stff is brgn. Tht mch is truu.
I dunno, I think you get what you pay for and their stuff is for the most part a value for the dollar. No, my daughters bed is not made of African Mahogany but the laminated press board went together easy, it has stood up to a few years of abuse and still looks great. This bed sits right in the floor with no legs, just a heavy frame. Excellent value.
On the other hand, my ex-girlfriend had a bed for her daughter that would obviously not last more than a few seconds of "activity" from a pair of adults even though it was a double. But for the price, fit for purpose and you couldn't find a better deal.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/just-dont-ask-why-its-so-cheap/article1223954 /
River banks...Log it , burn it , pave it grind it up, dry it out, Stick some paper to the front of it staple it back together = happy cheap modernism?