If you've bought mail-order lumber, a "S2S" question please

If you've bought mail-order lumber (e.g. Wall Lumber, Badger Hardwood, etc.) and they said it was S2S, did they dress a face and an edge, or did they dress both faces?

DAGS on "S2S" and I found conflicting definitions of S2S. Thought I'd ask someone who's actually bought it, what arrived?

Gracias!

Reply to
mttt

George M. Kazaka

I don't order wood, but two other terms worth mentioning are "hit and miss," which is often associated with S2S, and appears equivalent to what I learned as "skip-planed." Double-sided planers give boards which are not perfectly surfaced, having the occasional low spot, but are done by the mill to accommodate optical piecing machinery, where the knots and defect are revealed well enough to be cut away by automatic saws. Amounts usually to a

7/8 board sold as 4/4, where a properly surfaced S2S would yield 13/16.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that most furniture places take the pieces and run 'em through two-sided thickness sanders.

The edges on an S2S board need only be what came from the original edger, and may, IIRC still have some wane.

Reply to
George

Bought from AdvantageLumber and specified "S2S" - surface 2 sides, then added "plus one edge". Quite pleased w/them.

S2S refers to the faces, not the edges.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Down here it's called "S2S1E"

Reply to
Swingman

I just received 20 bdft of 4/4 white oak and 20 bdft of 4/4 hard maple from

and paid $0.20/bdft to have both edges planed flat. Normally it comes S2S. Had to do it as I don't have a jointer and 40 bdft of 4/4 is a lot of edge to plane.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

I followed your link and found their walnut was more than I just paid locally! I feel a little better.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Thank you! Have also heard good things about Advantage.

Reply to
mttt

Thanks Erik - I'm in a different spot. Have a jointer but no planer. Thus my interest in S2S vs. S2S1E.

Reply to
mttt

Where abouts are you, Wade? I'm in the Seattle, Redmond area. BTW, now I've got a bunch of 4/4 I need to get resawn *^%%$#*^%. It's to damn thick for what I need. A local cabinet shop said they will do it and resurface for $60/hr. Said it'll take 20-30 minutes.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

What lumber did you buy, how much per b/f and shipping cost? Is it really worth it?

Reply to
WD