If you make toys...

Page 3 of 4
Ok so anyone know how this will affect the toys for tots campaigns that are everywhere? Jim

treated as purchased/sold items (even though they are given away) and will be subject to the requirments of the ACT.
Any one got a better take on it feel free to enlighten me, I would love to be wrong here.

Is it even possible to buy lead based paint in the US?
LD wrote:

Yes. Winsor & Newton 246 Flake White 1, normally in stock at Blick Art Supplies for 5 bucks a tube is one example.
You're not going to find it in a can at Home Despot though.
--John

Hadn't considered art supplies.

this act goes into full swing. :-( I wonder if they even thought of that .With luck some time between now and then they will rethink some of the act. Jim
Just an update on my efforts to find out sometilng about this. So far no information just redtape and double talk, Have talked to several other toy makers and they are all in shock. Mitch McConnell's office is still not talking to me, guess I am not big enough.

Side bar: One of the concerns that the cpsa has is that the small toy maker might buy lead paint at the local Lowes and wanted to know how I know that my paint doesn't contain lead.

I have recieved this link to make comments on the CPSIA, Comments must be made by Jan 30 2009. Anyone who can or wishes to make a comment please do so. http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/ComponentPartsComments.pdf
ww.handmadetoyalliance.org/

Wrote my letter today. I hope it helps.
Chris
Thank you

Great info. Thanks.
The email address is snipped-for-privacy@cpsc.gov
The doc contains a fax and snail mail address also.
I'll send one comment to each.

The doc contains a fax and snail mail address also.
I'll send one comment to each.
Just sent mine. I've dealt with 3rd party inspection for a number of years. What a costly joke it is.

Here is the latest:
Until Dec 21 2008 you must have certificate showing that none of the products contain lead (MSDS for paint) or the product must be a natural untreated material that does not contain lead. All products must be labeled with the date of Manufacture.
After December 21 2008 all painted products must have 3rd party certification for lead content
After Feb 10 2008 all products must have 3rd party certification to be sold.
So basicaly anything made before December 21st 2008 is good if you don't use lead ln the product.
Clear finishes are not considered paint at this time. Stains are not considered paint at this time.
Get your letters and e-mails in to let them know how foolish this is.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:43:00 -0600, "Curran Copeland"

So, until they change it (again), my process of Danish oil and buffing with the Beall system would seem ok...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote

approval from the Dept. of Homeland Security on the Danish finish and the wax compounds used by the Beall system. And the DEA will need to check your bowls to see that there are no illegal drugs in them. And, I almost forgot, a mandatory body cavity search if you cross the border. ;)
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:16:34 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You may have found the answer! Since the law only covers items sold in the US maybe we need to move all crafts shows etc out of country.

Until Feb 10th.
I wonder how they would feel about using FDA 21CFR175.300 as an approved list of coatings not requiring testing after Feb 10th.
-Kevin
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:43:00 +0000, Curran Copeland wrote

How does the law stand on small volume production clearly labelled "Made by Craftsmen. Does not comply with statute..blah... " ? or something more cleverly worded. Is there provision for this?
I was wondering if there was some sort of loophole such as re-classifying certain items as "furniture" rather than toys in the short-term. Obviously it would be difficult to justify small stuff, but maybe rocking horse type gizmos or anything a kid _could_ sit on.. ?
Just thinking aloud, but desperate times / desperate measures...
Meanwhile, good luck with the campaign, everybody.