If this is global warming...

Page 13 of 16

Brilliant! Consider it stolen.
Tom Watson wrote:

[etc]
Remember that All Gore is divided into three parts...     twitch,     Zo4rba
On Feb 15, 9:17 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Is English your second language, Doug?

No -- but it often appears that it *is* yours...

--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

This kind of personal attack is exactly why I dropped off this NG a while back. Is it no longer possible to have a vigorous debate without these ad hominem banalities?
(Doug Miller)

Correct, Al Gore claimed to take the initiative in creating the internet while in congress.
Thank goodness he got the ball rolling.
Robatoy wrote:

> Gore never used the word "invent," and the

OK, I'll bite. In the context of going to a world without an internet to a world with an internet, what's the difference between saying create and saying invent?
Just Wondering wrote:
> OK, I'll bite. In the context of going to a world without an internet > to a world with an internet, what's the difference between saying create > and saying invent?
I assume this is an attempt at humor.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

No, it's a request for an actual reasoned explanation of the semantic difference between saying AlGore claimed he "took the initiative in creating the internet" and saying AlGore claimed he "invented the internet." Just how is saying "created" different from saying "invented" in that context?

Doesn't matter -- it's still a lie, either way: the internet already existed, long before Gore ever got to Congress.
--
Regards,

As the Snopes page said - Eisenhower took the initiative in creating the Interstate Highway System. He did not invent the highway.
writes:

Which isn't even close to being on point. Eisenhower was in office from 1953-1961. The Federal-Aid Highway Act was passed in 1956. So, Eisenhower can rightly claim the initiative in creating the Interstate Highway System. In contrast, Gore was not yet in office when the Internet was first created. Perhaps he could rightly say that he took the initiative to expand the Internet, but that doesn't sound nearly as good saying you created it, so being a politician, he said the latter. In the end, I don't really care. The way he said it left him wide open for jokes to be made. You can't deny that it sounds funny, can you?
todd
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Highways existed long before Eisenhower was elected president. It is exactly on point.
Eisenhower proposed legislation to build a new highway system.
Gore sponsored a bill to enable public and commercial use of what had been to that point solely a military, government and academic network.
Neither one of them swung a shovel or crimped a connector or designed an overpass or wrote an RFC.
--
John

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:35:13 GMT, John Santos

... and as far as I know, Eisenhower never made a statement that said, "While president, I took the initiative in creating highway systems". The interstate highway system was a considerable advancement over the existing highway systems in place -- compare Route 66 with Interstate 10 -- a completely different travel model. Ike came back from Germany tremendously impressed with the Autobahn and the ability to move military materiel rapidly. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the Al Gore statement. The fact is, in the heat of a political election season, Al Gore made a statement wildly inflating his importance in the construction of an important element of national infrastructure. Even apologists for Gore ought to be able to see that his claim was wildly inflated and he did it solely for the purpose of gaining standing in the eyes of potential voters. The fact that he got called on it should surprise no one. Just as his claims to have "discovered" Love Canal, or to have been the model for the main character of a novel that became a major motion picture were designed to serve the same purpose.

Mark & Juanita wrote: The fact

Omigod! A politician made a wildly inflated statement? Where's Pat Robertson? God talks directly to him.
Bob Oh, yeah: didn't Pat R. run for president once?

In fact, it's spot on.

The statement is true, notwithstanding.
--
FF

And Eisenhower wasn't in office when the highway was invented.

No argument there. It was definitely awkward. It would have been slightly better if Gore used the term "Information Superhighway" - but even that is not very accurate.
On Feb 14, 8:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

In context, Wolf Blitzwer asked, "Why should Democrats, looking at the Democratic nomination process, support you instead of Bill Bradley, a friend of yours, a former colleague in the Senate? What do you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this process?
Gore replied, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."
If you want to make a joke by an overly literal out-of-context interpretation of a comment, here's another one:
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." -- George W. Bush
--
FF

Tha's quite true. He actually said that he created it. Some people just needed to change to words a bit.

Not quite -- he said "I took the initiative in creating the internet."
Which *also* wasn't true.
--
Regards,