If this is global warming...

Page 11 of 16

In that sense, it is a lot like El Nino. Which got blamed for everything from a shortage of tobacco to psoriasis.

El NIno translated, We're going to wait and see what the weather is going to be like, then blame it on El Nino.
La Nina has the same basic translation.
I like to think, Its colder or hotter this year.

I recently heard that more and stronger hurricanes are a direct result of cleaner air. Less filtration of the sun's heat over the ocean.

It's statistics - Standard Deviation. Bell Curve.

It must be nice to be able to promote, and get tax-payer supported funding for, a theory such that no matter what happens, those occurrences are proof that your theory is correct. Really hot summers? Proof of global warming.
Really cold winters? Proof of the temperature extremes being caused by global warming.
Really warm winter (as of up to Jan this year)? Obvious
Really rainy summer? Proof of the extremes caused by global warming.
Lots of hurricanes? Proof of global warming
Lower than average number of hurricanes (2006), especially after the dire predictions of 2005? .... crickets
Unfortunately, for the rest of us, our theories have to be demonstrated in a more binary fashion.
Man, whatta racket.

The concept was recently amended to "climate change". Probably due to the fact there was an ice age preicted 30 years ago, and when the evidence started to point in a different direction, they went with "global warming". Now they have come to the realization that they can't really predict such things, and the pendulum might swing again. Therefore, they need an all-encompassing term for their fear- mongering.
The problem I have is that there seems ot be a general objective consensus that temperatures may be rising, but there is far from a consensus on cause, particularly in light of the fact that the earth's history has shown repeated episodes of climate extremes with no possibility of human intervention. Yet we are supposed to dramatically change the way we operate in the US while other countries are not going to be bound by the same constraints.
Seems more like politics to me...

Global warming was predicted 30 years ago.
If you look hard enough, you probably can find someone who still predicts an impending ice age.

"They" are not all of like mind. Such generalities are, in general, not useful.

Causality needs to be understood before one can have confidence in predictions.
--
FF

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
> I couln't stand it if Al Gore swept the Oscars.
OK, I'll ask, "Why not?"
Lew

Al Gore's head would explode.
Leon wrote:

That would be a good thing... especially if caught on tape so we can replay it over and over...

And the problem with that is... ?
--
Regards,

*trim*
Too gorey. I'd never make it past the censors.
Puckdropper

Then he'd be All Gore.

But, but, but .... OK, if I have to to get along. But the equally touted "Look out! the Ice Age is coming" back in the 70's has got me sorta cynical about "lies, damn lies and statistics", if you know what I mean, Vern?

Hell will freeze over first ... well, maybe just one, with a little "o", just to keep the gullible gullible.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Call that guy who invented the internet. Ask him to dig it out for you. If he not too busy still counting missing chads in Florida he might help you out.

Gore never said that. Just another Rove hatchet job. Gore did have a lot to do with the growth and funding of them thar intarweb tubes. There are a lot of Americans who are wondering how things would have turned out had the popular vote actually won in 2000. I have not seen Gore's movie, but many people that have, liked it.
Obama/Clarke 2008. ANYbody but that douche-nozzle Clinton. I have said too much.
Were there ANY hurricanesin 2006? That is so weird... what, there 5 big mofo's in 2005?
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ROTFLMAO! ... where the hell is Pat Paulson when you need him??
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Gore did say, quote, "I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
And Karl Rove had absolutely nothing to do with it.
--
Regards,
On Feb 14, 8:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That is a long ways from claiming he invented the internet. That is Rove spin.
The rest is out-of-context semantics.
Here is Snopes:
Al Gore did not claim he "invented" the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading, out-of- context distortions of something he said during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied (in part):
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."
Snopes continues:
Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self- serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the word "invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly different meanings.

Karl Rove had absolutely nothing to do with it. Gore made an ass of himself all *by* himself, without anyone else's assistance -- starting with the fact that the internet had already been in existence *long* before Gore was ever elected to Congress.
--
Regards,