if juniper worth harvesting, and a little gloat to

if juniper worth harvesting? a guy I work with had some large junipers that he's cutting down are they worth harvesting into timber? on first thought I think they would have to much pitch and just be a mess any thoughts?
also has anyone worked with Russian olive before? he's pulling down a number of 10" that I said I would take and now the gloat
I'm also getting a 2' diameter walnut tree that has a solid 8' long trunk
Richard
I live in central Oregon and I have a lot of Juniper on my place. It is a soft wood and I don't put a lot of value on it. To me it is not worth the hassle of sawing into timber. It is just bearly worth the effort of cutting into firewood as it burns very fast. Some of the old trees are pretty knarled and may have some nice figure to them but it still does not seem worth it.
I keep on threatening to send the kids out to collect the berries so I can make my own Gin. To bad I don't like Gin!
Richard Clements wrote:

I don't think you will want to mill a bunch of lumber from the Juniper, but you might salvage some smaller pieces for boxes and other small projects. However, if you are a turner, Juniper can be a delight to work with. Juniper covers a wide variety, but some of it has remarkable dark red or purple heartwood and contrasting yellow sap wood. Utah Juniper in particular is a favorite of mine.
Here is a turned piece with some Juniper (Italian Cypress)
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop/juniper-purpleheart.jpg
--
********
Bill Pounds

wifes grandfather has a mill, he dose it a lot more than I do, I have a lot of willow left from last summer that i milled, probable stick to the walnut and olive Toller wrote:

Depends .... I use juniper for decoy bodies. Usually I use 4" x 8" X ~17" long or laminate 2 2 inch thick boards. That way you can hollow out the body and join the halfs. Aside from that, I don't know of any use except telephone poles.
Joel Jacobson
Free? No brainer. Take all you can get, figure out what you're gong to do with it later. Worst case scenario, bonfire, roast hot dogs, drink beer. No prob.
JOAT My shop, my rules.
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:01:25 -0600, Richard Clements

Juniper makes really nice bowls and candlesticks... stuff like that... Related to cedar, isn't it???
Cut the Juniper into bowl blanks and sell it on ebay... *g* Mac
http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes/cedar726.html
It actually may be juniper but I've not been able to establish for sure which it is
Richard Clements wrote:

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:01:25 -0600, Richard Clements wrote

Depends on the species, etc. I have planked a fair amount of the local variety, very nice 400+ year old stuff that is about 2 feet in diameter (great for boxes and veneer). The fast growing stuff is probably best for firewood or other basic projects since it tends to be soft and moves a lot. -Bruce