Identify wood.

Page 2 of 2
On 6/30/2013 6:57 PM, dpb wrote:

Juniper, cedar, and other shrubs/trees of that family all have a similar red heartwood and white sapwood - and there are some pretty odd trees in AU that may look like that - beware though, my experience is that almost anything native to Australia is poisonous - beware of the dust until you know what it is (the bark looks like juniper to me)
I would think it would burn fast and pop. Lots of oil and scent.
Either cedar or juniper. Might help saying where you are located and if the tree was local...
Martin
On 6/30/2013 12:23 PM, dpb wrote:

Juniper

"pencil wood"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This does not seem to smell like pencil cedar

Looks identical to the stuff I'm currently clearing out of my yard that blew down during the 87mph windstorm this past Thursday - red cedar.
"F Murtz" wrote in message

I agree with the others who suggest that it is eastern red cedar... juniper.
I don't think I've ever seen eastern red cedar intentionally used for firewood but I do recall seeing such trees burn. A fire ripped through forests and fields near my childhood home and I recall how the cedars crackled as they exploded in a ball of flames. It was a memorable experience!
RE pens, I've seen pens turned from this wood and they looked nice. However, the wood is so soft that after a bit of use they looked beat up. One fellow kind of solved that problem by finishing them with a thin variety of CA glue which soaked in and basically plasticized the wood. I imagine that thinned lacquer would do the same thing given enough coats.
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I use superglue (cyanoacrylate or CA.for short) as a lot of pen makers do, it is being increasingly used on small bowls pepper grinders etc.

Even a good urethane varnish can firm up cedar (and mahogany) quite well - water born better than solvent.
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:57:16 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Very common proocess in pen-making - and as for using it for firewood, there is NO better kindling than just about any variety of "cedar"
wrote in message

Absolutely cedar makes good kindling and tinder... Not so good for firewood though as it burns fast and pitch pockets pop... definitely don't want the greens in the fire!
When camping involved cooking over fires (vs. the single burner stove I use now) I would pull cedar bark off trees, shred it up, and use it for tinder. Found nothing better.
John