Identify wood.

Page 1 of 2
Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot before I discovered it makes good pens.
https://picasaweb.google.com/113020386164842470958/June302013#5895193133194393666

Shows 'page not found'.
F Murtz wrote:

I got the result of "sorry, that page not found".
--
 GW Ross

 Let he who takes the plunge remember

All I got was a blank page.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I am having trouble driving picassa since it updated, when I click on the url I get the picture, I will see what I can do.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Try this. https://picasaweb.google.com/113020386164842470958/June302013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCN2koe3Pq-rTxwE&feat=directlink
On 6/30/2013 7:20 AM, F Murtz wrote:

Eastern red cedar...
On 6/30/2013 7:33 AM, dpb wrote: ...

It's the wood of cedar chest and closet linings, etc., etc., etc., ...
On 6/30/2013 7:33 AM, dpb wrote:

That gets my vote, too. Once able to view the picture the very first thing that popped in my mind was the novelty boxes, mirrors, you name it that you see in vacation areas (well, here in the Midwest anyways)
Typically little jewelry boxes with a coat of varnish and stamped on it "Souvenir of the Wisconsin Dells" etc.
Looks a lot prettier as a pen<g>

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red color, sort of like cedar.
On 6/30/2013 9:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

That sorta' figures, 'cuz it is... :)

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:16:30 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Yep, ER Cedar. Popped and crackled, a lot, when burned, also. No lasting coals, burned quickly, directly to ashes.
Sonny
dpb wrote:

It has a strong smell but not what I remember of cedar.
On 6/30/2013 12:05 PM, F Murtz wrote:

How long since it's been cut? It surely looks like cedar in color, grain and what can be seen of bark.
Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose. Where did it come from?

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Eastern red cedar is juniper. Juniperus virginiana
Sonny
On 6/30/2013 2:39 PM, Sonny wrote:

Is _a_ juniper, yes...I was presuming the other poster referring to it as simply juniper was speaking of western juniper or similar than red cedar.
On 6/30/2013 3:05 PM, dpb wrote:

That is, I've never heard anybody call red cedar just "juniper", even in Virginia. Maybe there's somewhere that that is common, but it's new to me if so...
I still think based on the wood and what bark that can be seen that it is eastern red cedar. If, having been relegated to the wood pile, I'd guess the odor isn't as pronounced as might otherwise be owing to weathering...
I'm still open to further information from OP on where it came from, additional photos of bark, physical description of the tree if known, etc., etc., etc., to try to confirm/deny but that's my call at the moment... :)

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:30:15 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

That's what I meant to type, it is a type of juniper. I've never heard any refer to er cedar as juniper, either.
I would swear it's er cedar, despite it being in Australia. Someone must have grown it. The OP can search this site, to see if there's something else that fits the bill: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sonny
dpb wrote:

I am in Australia, bought a second hand wood heater and the wood came with it and I wish I had not burnt as much before I sawed a bit diagonally, it probably was grown in a domestic garden.
On 6/30/2013 8:20 PM, F Murtz wrote:

Ooooh...that means could be most anything--I think all of us responding so far have been USA and thinking of native species here.
It does definitely look like red cedar appearance-wise and I suppose they could have been imported as ornamentals but they're certainly not considered high on the list for it in the US except some areas where it's hard to get much of anything to grow -- like where I am in the semi-arid western High Plains.
Best guess then might be to take a piece to a local horticultural shop and see if they can identify it.