Identify wood.

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot before I discovered it makes good pens.

F Murtz

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:58:15 +1000, F Murtz

Shows 'page not found'.

Reply to
none

I got the result of "sorry, that page not found".

Reply to
G. Ross

All I got was a blank page.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am having trouble driving picassa since it updated, when I click on the url I get the picture, I will see what I can do.

Reply to
F Murtz

Try this.

F Murtz

Eastern red cedar...

Reply to
dpb

On 6/30/2013 7:33 AM, dpb wrote: ...

It's the wood of cedar chest and closet linings, etc., etc., etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

That gets my vote, too. Once able to view the picture the very first thing that popped in my mind was the novelty boxes, mirrors, you name it that you see in vacation areas (well, here in the Midwest anyways)

Typically little jewelry boxes with a coat of varnish and stamped on it "Souvenir of the Wisconsin Dells" etc.

Looks a lot prettier as a pen

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red color, sort of like cedar.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 6/30/2013 9:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

That sorta' figures, 'cuz it is... :)

Reply to
dpb

Yep, ER Cedar. Popped and crackled, a lot, when burned, also. No lasting coals, burned quickly, directly to ashes.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Juniper

Reply to
tommyboy

It has a strong smell but not what I remember of cedar.

Reply to
F Murtz

How long since it's been cut? It surely looks like cedar in color, grain and what can be seen of bark.

Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose. Where did it come from?

Reply to
dpb

"pencil wood"

Reply to
clare

Eastern red cedar is juniper. Juniperus virginiana

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Looks identical to the stuff I'm currently clearing out of my yard that blew down during the 87mph windstorm this past Thursday - red cedar.

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Is _a_ juniper, yes...I was presuming the other poster referring to it as simply juniper was speaking of western juniper or similar than red cedar.

Reply to
dpb

That is, I've never heard anybody call red cedar just "juniper", even in Virginia. Maybe there's somewhere that that is common, but it's new to me if so...

I still think based on the wood and what bark that can be seen that it is eastern red cedar. If, having been relegated to the wood pile, I'd guess the odor isn't as pronounced as might otherwise be owing to weathering...

I'm still open to further information from OP on where it came from, additional photos of bark, physical description of the tree if known, etc., etc., etc., to try to confirm/deny but that's my call at the moment... :)

Reply to
dpb