ideas needed for dust hood/collection for miter saw

Looking for your creative ideas on how best to contain dust from a 12" Dewalt dual-bevel miter saw.
It will be stationary on a bench. I will run a 6" DC line to it (S&D most of the way, short flex the rest of the way)
I was thinking to build a hood around it and a single 6" port at the back bottom. It miters 50 degrees L and R.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:49:59 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

I would recommend the Shroud o' Manco. <tm me>
_If_ I lived north of where I do now, I'd have bought a clear plastic window-well cover. (The "deep-dish" kind, not the sexy new low-profile type.) Cut your hole in the back to fit your hose, epoxy to bench and you should be good to go.
However, I live in North Carolina, (state motto: "Basements? Yew plannin' on raisin' yersef sum cave crickets???") and there's _no_ call for the borgs to carry window-well covers.
So I duct-taped the hell out of a bunch of precisely cut pieces of 1/4" ply and formed a shell. Duct-taped that to the bench, drilled a 4-inch hole in the bench, shoved a PVC elbow through it, ran a bit of pipe out the bottom and to the front of the bench, and when ready, I just shove on the 4" flex hose let 'er rip.
It doesn't look pretty (1), but _nothing_ escapes the "Shroud o' Manco".
I'll dig up a photo if you need one.
Michael Baglio (1) Actually, I think it looks snazzy as hell.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-4.htm
That looks pretty impressive.
I'm hoping I can fabricate something very similar. In the process I plan to use 6" ducting vs 4". The airflow is double. I'll be taping into my DC line.
I agree about the health concerns. If not already, you may want to consider a good back for your DC. Those stock bags are not very good at stopping the <10 micron particles which happen to be the ones that lodge most deeply into your lungs. Much has been said about this lately. DC mfgs really need to step up their efforts to start collecting the small stuff.
I have one of those Jet canister DCs. It's suppose to be 2 micron, but even that is not so whippy. I think their are after market filters now in the 0.5 micron range.
You might want to check out http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneReviews.cfm
On 31 Jan 2005 16:12:31 -0800, very_dirty snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Penn State sells something called a "Big Gulp" hood for $20. I have used it with great success on a RAS.
I imagine it would work as well on a miter saw and should be deep enough to handle a SCMS.
Try this link: http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code GULP&Category_Code