Ideas for use of a Book Matched Cherry Panel?

Grabbed a pair of book matched cherry crotch cuts at local purveyor, $7.00 each. Cut them down on the TS and glued up a panel from the straight center pieces, joining on the TS cuts as I don't own a jointer and that wood was NOT going to hand plane with a 605 Stanley and a Hock blade&chipper (learned what "blade chatter" and "tear out" mean trying it!). The panel is far from perfect, but is adequate, and has a pretty figure. It's about 24" X 12".

Pics are at

wood was wiped with water to show figure in pics.

Looking for ideas on using it. Door on a cabinet? Lid on a chest? Back of a hanging display cabinet? Other thoughts?

BTW, the last pic includes a matched pair of cut-offs. They form an interesting arrowhead shape that I'm also contemplating a use for. These pieces are not clean, multiple small splits, sapwood, etc.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

The top of a chest was my initial thought, but the way the figure is, you'd be looking at it sideways. If used as a door on a standing cabinet it would have much more visual impact.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would say a door panel to maximize the visual impact.

Reply to
Curly Woods

Seeing as how it's your wood, I'll take your advice!

I love purusing your scrapS!

Reagards and thanks.

Reply to
Tom Banes

Thanks. Concur. Unless I make the chest long-ways.

I've thought about making a chest for the family bible (it dates to

1715). I had it rebound in leather a few years ago and it goes to my son when I depart this vale of tears. Cherry ages well, so may that's my mark on a family heirloom.

BTW, the other respondent (CurlyWoods) was the purveyor in question, though I doubt they recognize my name online. Great folks, really nice wood, fair prices and a scrap pile that's a blast if you like designing a piece around the wood vs buying wood to fit the design. I personally get more enjoyment from the former, plus it's less work than pawing through stacks of lumber!

Regards.

Reply to
Tom Banes

That sounds perfect. Since the book is so old, you may want to check about any special precautions that should be taken. I'd probably shellac at least the interior to avoid contamination from finishing fumes of oils.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good thought. I'll call in a friend who's with the museum to see what he suggests.

Thanks Ed.

Reply to
Tom Banes