Ideas for Scraps

(cp to r.c.w)

Sunday projects: I never throw anything away, so the thin strips of plywood left over after replacing rotten soffits had been collecting. Also needed some sort of storage for heavy hardware, sandpaper disks, and few other things. This is the melding of these two situations:

Storage Cabinet:

" and 3/8" leftover ply. Holds 16 plastic storage bins (made in Israel, don't remember the brand) bought on sale at Lowes last year for $5. Heavy duty - holds heavy hardware/screws with aplomb. May install a handle and hardboard door for portability and dust barrier. Will be mounted on wall next to DIY wall cabinets of the same height. Used the old, obsolete siphon fed paint gun to spray on a coat of 1# shellac and leftover Latex - just to stay in practice. Needs another coat - even with the shellac prime, the crappy ply soaks up paint.

Sanding Disk Storage for 2" and 3" disks:

1/4" ply. Leftover strips of coated hardboard. Dados, rabbets. glue and brads. Compartments are big enough to store cut strips of roll sandpaper. Once I determine what grades I consume the most of, I probably won't continue to buy the pre-cut round disks. Got tired of fumbling through a stack of plastic bags to find the desired grit. Could probably use lids as well; to keep out dust and crud.

Extended tool-safe Live Center:

old poplar dowel cut to length and turned with the profile of the removed stock live center point. Shellacked. Got tired of trying to cut close in with that metal bearing sheath in the way. These extended points won't burn the wood or drill a hole into the base that has to be subsequently removed. They are tool safe, easy and cheap to make. Not all that secure, but perfect for those times when you need just a bit of pressure on the base.

Finishing Rotisserie: (same pix as above)

using oil based poly or anything that might sag or run, this lathe attachment allows the piece to rotate at slow speed for hours on end - just like your barbeque chicken. In fact, the drive mechanism IS an old grill rotisserie motor. (Garage Sales) I made a drive shaft from 3/8" rod by heating the end red hot, flattening into a square, and grinding to the correct profile to match the motor assembly. The spindle end was then threaded for a nut with a taper ground onto one end so that tightening expands the tubing in the spindle, thereby locking it into place. A washer is soldered to the middle to hold the other end of the tubing and locate the shaft on the spindle. Rotation expands it even more. Although the EVS lathe will run at slow speeds, the noise, power consumption, and heat generated by the motor when its cooling fan is ineffective makes this a must have if you like thick finishes free of defects. Approximately 3 RPM.

Then there is this thing:

pot with a minor open segment feature ring. Honduras Mahogany, Black Walnut, Maple, Ebony. A catch resulted in the top being a far different profile than what I was aiming for.

Nothing major here, just a few thoughts for those who may have similar needs and a few possible solutions.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G