Ideas for project for new baby

I am going to be a first time father, and was curious what would be a good project for me to build. Thanks for all ideas!

P.S. good sources of plans? I have a bunch of previously read WW magazines, but I hate to start one thing and then realize there was something better I could have built. I am not normally really fast, so it's not like I will crank out a bunch of things.

Reply to
ToolMiser

start saving ....

Reply to
Old Nick

Tool Miser:

WoodSmith issue #48 baby cradle If you are very skilled and have LOTS of time next month or so.

WoodSmith issue #65 Rocking horse If you are a person with a day job and wood working fits in as a hobby and it could take some time to finish

WoodSmith issue # 38 Bunk Beds If it takes you a really long time to finish a project, like I do.

Graybeard Phil

Reply to
GrayBeardPhil

Welcome in the club !

I've been doing lots of projects for my son to be (april). My latest : a Window bench/book shelves/drawers/drawing table unit (my design) Some furniture for the room (my design also) and my next project is a cradle. I've surveyed all the plans you can get on internet and I settled on this one

but I will modify it to add few features.

My wife always complains that it would be cheaper to purchase all. She just doesn't get it I guess. But I've never been more happy to get wood chips in my eyes, fingers, etc. It's far from perfect and wont make a living out of it for sure but I'm quite proud of what I did and it will stand the test of time not like those cheap furnitures in Toy'sRus or wallmart.

Good luck !

"ToolMiser" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m11.aol.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Crib, changing table, "Brio-style" train table, Toy Box.

Reply to
patrick conroy

You didn't say when the baby arrives, but unless you're ready with a cradle on day one you might get less use out of it than the time it takes to build it. (Unless you plan to have more children, anyway.) They grow up so fast (he says as his son celebrates his first teen birthday this very minute)!

I think my first project for him was a booster seat that fit the chair perfectly. (I'm no speed demon either.) No; it was the gate for the top of the stairs. Solid, no slats.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@www.thehostmasters.com:

Did one of those for the grandcritter in perpetual motion. Lasted 10 months until he figured out how to undo the hotel-room-style latch behind it. But he's a lot safer on the stairs now than he was then.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I did you one better. My latch was easy to figure out, but took real physical force to open. The gate lasted until he learned to climb over it. By then we were no longer trying to protect him, we were trying to protect the stuff we had at the other end of the stairs. :)

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Ah, the memories this brings back. :)

Mine turns 11 this year. Man.

Reply to
Silvan

Fri, Jan 21, 2005, 10:18pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) boasts, or maybe whimpers, hard to tell: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I am going to be a first time father, and was curious what would be a good project for me to build.

OK, a rocking chair. Tha'll do it. Well, actually a crib, but a basinet will probabl come first, and be used for awhile. the rocker s still essential, and I'll tell you why.

Cradle - the kid'll out grow it in a very short time, and it's just gonna take up space, and collect dust.

Changing table - after a week or two, you're gonna be changing the kid on the floor, car hoods, chair, couch, table, even on your lap. You can make a dresser later.

Rocking horse - it's gonna be awhile before the kid is big enough for one, so don't bother yet

A rocking chair, is what you need. Rock the kid to sleep, then put him/her down to sleep - and the kid'll sleep just as sound on the floor (wish a blanket down, of course) as in the bed. Then you can stay in the chair and get some rest. In fact make the chair now, and start breaking it in. This will start you off, you can make a fancy one later if you want. Personally, I think this would look better with a different color paint, and some senciling. Regardless, you're gonna get years and years of use out of a rocker.

ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T