Ideas for making a single top for a long series of Ikea bookcases

Wow. This is why usenet still has some value to me. I've tucked away that little trick in my brain for future use.

..... and like most things in that catalog, you don't really need that little plane to do it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

frames.http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32683&cat=1,230,41182>> And I thought that was a plane for elves. Go figure.

I don't know if this pertains to your current thought process or not, but as has been discussed in here on several occasions, biscuits are intended for alignment and don't add any discernible strength to most joints.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The LeeValley catalogue is often inspirational. "Shiat!, *I* can do that!" Many will just order the tool. Good on Robin when they do.

Reply to
Robatoy

with a New York accent? Some of their products look like they would fit the bill nicely. I might order a sample or two.

One question: In my application there'd be no "basebaord molding" to cover up the cut edges; the tiles would be flush up against (and possibly level with) the oak border. Can they be cut neatly? How? Razor knife? I guess I could make a deliberate lip by routing a notch in the oak, But I think that bit of complication might sway me back to the porcelain tile.

The edge should be elevated above the substrate by a fraction more than the thickness of the cork. that way the edge covers the side of the substrate and the cork at the same time.

Reply to
Robatoy