Ideas for kitchen table legs?

My wife wants a very rustic looking kitchen table. Im using red oak and Ive already finished the top. Im trying to figure out what kind of legs to make. I dont have a lathe so they cant be round. Originally I was going to make a pedestal style table but my wife says thats too country. She just wants 4 plain legs, but I think that will look amatuerish. The only thing I can think of is to just use heavy legs (about 5" square) and slightly taper them. Any other ideas?

Reply to
UTRECHT

try using prefab staircase or porch posts.They are already tuned and usually only require light sanding and finish

Reply to
Bigsister4u2000

5" square legs are huge, rather bulky. Tapering the legs will make the table appear lighter--without the taper it might look a piece of shop furniture. Generally, the inside of the legs are tapered. With 5" legs I'm not sure if your table saw can handle it.
Reply to
Phisherman

How about some oak newel posts modified to suit your needs?

Reply to
solarman

Reply to
Michael S. Dameron, Major, USA

5" square is _big_. "typical" tapered square legs are on the order of 1-3/4" sq at the top, and 3/4"-1" square at the bottom. Usually with some form of minimal 'ornamentation' in the few inches directly below the skirt.

A very clean, simple, and elegant look can be accomplished by taking a tapered cut off the inside _corner_ of a medium-large square leg. I dunno what to call the design, but I've used it on big (42"x96") solid-mahagony DR tables.

Using 3" sq. stock, I mark the base of the leg, at the middle of each of the two 'inside' sides; and on the 'inside corner' a few inches (1x to 1-1/2x the height of the skirt seems to 'look right') _below_ the bottom of the skirt. Play 'connect the dots', and cut off the triangular piece so defined.

These are readily cut on a table saw -- 45-degree blade angle, plus a simple taper-jig.

Shaving that insde corner of the leg makes a tremendous difference in the apparent 'massiveness' of the table.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi