Ideas for adjustable legs for artists easel

All,
I've been Googling around today looking for Aluminum or some other metal tube adjustable leg for an Artists easel I'd like to make. I don't much like the stuff I find at Art Stores online.
I'd like wooden or metal legs that can adjust from about 22" to 36". I haven't found anything made of metal so I'm thinking I can make some kind of keyed slot type of wooden leg similar to some I've seen, but before I do, I thought I'd ask you guys for any good ideas for adjustable legs you might have.
Primary considerations are weight and size since the easel I'm making needs to be portable so it can be used on trips.
D. G. Adams
Add pictures here
✖
You can slot one of the stix and put a pin and bolt in the other, a sloppy T&G with a slot will also allow the extension you're after. Can be routed, see pix:
http://patwarner.com/images/mag2.jpg
**************** D. G. Adams wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:27:18 -0800, pat wrote:

Yeah, that's a good idea. I though I might put a dovetail key down the length of the leg to hold things together a little better. Also, I don't need the leg to be fully adjustable so maybe I'll just drill holes every couple of inches. Thanks for the link it's getting my brain out of the blank it was in.
D.G. Adams
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:20:43 -0600, "D. G. Adams"

I made one for my wife four or five years ago, and it works really well. The legs themselves were made with three long pieces of maple- two for the top, and one for the bottom. I set the two for the top next to one another, spread apart just enough for the bottom leg to slide between easily, then attached together with a couple of small blocks on the outside. Drill a hole near the bottom of the top leg, and a series of holes in the bottom leg. Then slide the bottom leg in between the parts of the top leg until the holes you want to use align, and stick a chamfered dowel or metal pin in to hold it in place. Used the same adjustment technique throughout the easel, and it is not only functional, by rather attractive as well. The holes throughout the piece add some visual interest. It's not infinitely adjustable, but with the holes about 1" apart, it's pretty versitile.
Add pictures here
✖
Sun, Oct 29, 2006, 9:20pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (D. G. Adams) doth claimeth: All, I've been Googling around today looking for Aluminum or some other metal tube adjustable leg for an Artists easel I'd like to make. I don't much like the stuff I find at Art Stores online. <snip>
First thought that popped into my mind, use a couple of camera tripod legs, if you want metal. Or, a complete tripod, with something to hold the canvases. Or, slotted wooden legs, with wingnuts to tighten. Or, drilled holes. Or, long legs, with moveable pegs. All you've got to do is sit down and think about what you want to do, then how to do it. It ain't rocket science.
There are free plans on-line that pretty much would either do what you want, or would give you some ideas.
JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 01:33:21 -0500, J T wrote:

Yeah, I found the plans first thing. Gave me a few ideas. The tripod idea is good. I could obtain a used tripod and mount the legs as needed. One idea I had was to use T track. Put a dado down some stock and mount the T track with the slot facing the leg. One hole for a bolt and I'm there. The T track serves as the leg extension. Thanks for the tripod idea. I'll see what I can do with that.
D. G. Adams
Add pictures here
✖

Find a camera tripod with aluminum adjustable legs and use them. Maybe find one at low price on EBay
Add pictures here
✖
D. G. Adams wrote:

Have you thought of converting the canvas easel top to fit on a good sturdy camera tripod?
Quite easily done
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Add pictures here