I wonder what's kept under wraps?

Page 5 of 5
dpb wrote:

Well, here's one that they tried to squelch, but it finally broke through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIOIM6hHBk

Doug Winterburn wrote:

With self-destruct function even. Are they available in time for Christmas?

The key people would quit the company and create a startup to market the miracle product.
You should rent "The Man in the White Suit" with Alec Guinness...plot summary from IMDB: A man invents a fabric that won't get dirty or wear out, but he seems to have made more enemies than friends in the process....
FoggyTown wrote:

Straight razor won't do that. Neither will a boron fiber, which _will_ take your fingers off if you're not careful with it.

Most men wouldn't buy it regardless--it closes the option of growing a beard if one should want to. Women get this done with some regularity by another process.
Don't believe everything you hear in a lecture.

If he demonstrated it then the "petroninjas" would have jumped on it and if it was a cheaper production method than pumping it out of the ground started using it. Since such a discovery would violate several principles of chemistry and physics though such claims unless supported by hard evidence must be taken as urban legends.
--John

Well, there obviously IS pressure--the pressure from the weight of the knife. Give me a machete and I'll be able to grind a low-angle razor edge on it to do just the above mentioned. (Of course, it'll be useless as a machete with an edge that fine.) If you need sharper than that, go buy a neurosurgeon's glass scalpel. Sharpness isn't magic, but too fine of an edge will not be resilient enough for general use. It'll either break, wear, or bend.

What's wrong with electrolysis? It's here, it's permanent, and it's fairly inexpensive. Apparently painful as hell, though. Honestly, it's not something that most guys want--even if they _do_ shave daily. An ointment to do the same without bad side effects is possible, but not all that beneficial.

Lots of things out there. I used to work for a small drug design company. We had several interesting candidates for drugs, but the synthesis or work-up was too hard to pursue further. Someday, someone is going to start selling a gold-based anti-inflammatory that's easily absorbed. It might be based on the work I did, or it might be based on some other company's old research that's sitting on the shelf.
The problem with conspiracy theories in general is that there's enough going on in terms of market forces, economics, and even overt evil, that there's no NEED for companies to resort to ridiculous and implausible extents.
Colin

What conspiracy theory? If I invent a compound that can be made into tires that will last 100,000 miles and I sell it to, say, Firestone who buys it just to keep it from some other manufacturer - that isn't a conspiracy. It may be a shame but it isn't a conspiracy. It's called protecting your market. Firestone can't use it because either they will have to sell each new-compound tire for 5 times more than the present ones OR they will have to sell five times more tires than they do now - maybe more.
Like I say, we have no way of knowing what's been invented but withheld for economic or safety reasons.
FoggyTown
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:19:53 -0800 (PST), FoggyTown

Or they sell 3 times as many tires (since they would corner the market for the term of the patent) at twice the price (since the tires last 5 times as long) and make many times more profit while driving all competitors into bankruptcy. Yet another reason these silly stories have no legs.

Then get slammed for operating a monopoly?
FoggyTown

These days?

There's nothing illegal about operating a monopoly. If you're deemed to be a monoply, there are restrictions about what you can do to maintain it, but making a better mousetrap and bankrupting the competition isn't illegal.
Colin

They've got legs. They just change their pants real often.

Maybe if the blade was heavy enough.

That would suck if you later decided to grow a beard.

I think he's spouting urban myths myself.

That goes along with the 80mpg carburetor that GM bought from the inventor and shelved - and thousands of people "saw" it right there - on the shelf. Water into gasoline - sorta like gold from sea water...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yeah, except for one slight difference: there really *is* gold in sea water. <g>
--
Regards,