I wonder what's kept under wraps?

Page 3 of 5

So efficient that it costs approx. $35.00-$40.00 per ride.....a normal bus approx. $25.00.....without a massive tax subsidy not many if any riders would use them.....those terribly inefficient cars only cost around .40 to .50 cents per mile

If you want to know why mass transit only has legs because of congestion(major cities).... not price or convenience just try to live a normal life without a car......My daughter's car recently broke down, her normal 20 minute each way commute took 2 hrs each way...and yet her hospital(job) is on a major road and her apartment is not far from another. Rod

The TTC in Toronto subsidizes 39 cents (pennies) per ride. They recoup around 81% of their costs from (about) 2 dollar fares which will take you (if you use free transfers) anywhere in Greater Metro. The Amsterdam and Berlin numbers are close.
Then again, none of these are operated by Haliburton.
Besides, there are LOTS of people in New York City who don't own/need cars... and there are lots of other examples.
So where is this 40 dollar ride? DisneyWorld?

You are a 'reverse' commuter like a friend of mine who lives in The Beaches and works in Mr. & Mrs. Sauga. He also wouldn't consider taking the TTC. He doesn't pay for parking at his job either. Now, live in Scarberia and take a job on Bay street.

Not much of a tree-hugger, are you. :)
Robatoy wrote:

Apparently 74%.....and to their credit a higher ratio than most other major cities however the capital costs (state funds etc.) to build the system, buy vehicles etc. are not included in these numbers......Akin to ignoring ones house or car payment when considering operating costs.
In spite of being a reasonably well run efficient system they are presently dealing with major funding issues and presently cutting routes, deferring maintenance , planned expansion etc....

Due to congestion.....in the city proper parking cost alone is a deal breaker.....in a heavily populated city mass transit in some form is pretty much required.

TriMet...Portland Oregon
Ctran....Vancouver, Wa (Bus only).....My wife is on the citizen advisory commision..... Rod

OTOH, I was pretty certain, when I was about five, that those square wooden wheels I put on the first tubafour "car" I made were so easy to make that they would revolutionize the toy car business ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

I almost spewed my coffee.
So... finish the story. Were you bought out by GM? Did they screw you because you were five? Are you secretly using your weatlh from that sale to buy new router accessories while depriving the American public of one of the worlds (potentially) greatest inventions?
Knowing the state of the auto industry, I am sure your invention (hmmmmm.... square wheels, you say... why didn't I think of that? I think at five I was still eating dirt, not sure) would easily make it through R&D and testing.
Just think - who needs ABS brakes when you have "Swing's Square Wheels"?
Robert
Sorry, that's classified ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Gotcha. Tell me later.
Meet you on the grassy knoll. ;^)
Robert

They would work well in the snow, me thinks...
Robatoy said:

Yeah, as skis. ;-) Especially once they got a nice glaze of ice on them.
Greg G.

Your square wheels and my square bearings! We coulda been rich! We coulda been contenders!
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

element of truth in the claims, it's unlikely this >miracle product, whatever it might be, would be producible at a >competitive price or not have some other problem or somebody >would be doing it...there are an awful lot of bright folks out >there.

And it wasn't new. I can't recall the inventor's name--Fisher kept popping to mind, but I can find no reference--back in the '40s and '50s about a 100 MPG carb that had been invented. resumably, GM bought the thing and buried it.
If that had actually been the case, I figure the market around '75 would have supported GM bringing it back in a rush.
So far, the closest thing I've seen is a guy on eBay who was selling (maybe still is) a booklet that is guaranteed to help you increase your gas mileage by xx percent. Just for kicks, I sent off five bucks. When I got it, it turned out to be a carb line heater, not exactly new news, and almost dead useless in this day of EFI.
What was the last new car you saw with a carburetor?
Charlie Self wrote: ...

This is the first time I ever hear of it being associated to Bill Lear (and unless it's a different Bill Lear than the electronics and aviation technology I don't think it is his. It doesn't sound at all like something he would get involved in--he knew physics and engineering and would recognize a hoax as a hoax from the git-go).
As a sidelight and back to something that has wood in it (at least the cabinets did :) ), my uncle in Wichita had an Armstrong dealership and did quite a lot of upper-end remodels in the 50s and 60s. He did the tile work in the Lear's home in Wichita while I was in college. My cousin, brother and myself would drive down on weekends from Manhattan and work as tile mechanics while finishing the job as it was so large. That went on most of one winter/spring before we finally finished it all...

Check out NASCAR... :) I'm not a fan by any stretch, but aren't they still fully aspirated? I've always wondered why the stay that way, but presume because they figure it would open up an unlimited number of _additional_ ways to cheat--uh, get competitive advantage, I mean.
Maybe that's what they need to save a pit stop late in the race.
Charlie Self wrote:

If any major car manufacturer had a product that could give an average car 90-100 mpg, surely it could revise it to make a car that now gets 25 mpg get 32 mpg instead. A little clever tweaking like that would put that particular manufacturer at the top of the heap. The fact nothing like that has happened indicates there is no such product.

Which works on the same theory that there will not be any time- machines, ever. Not even in the future. We would have had visitors by now, eh?
Robatoy wrote:

> Not even in the future. We would have had visitors by now, eh?
How do you know we haven't???

I had my doubts about Buddy Hackett, but other than him, I don't think so.
Just Wondering wrote:

The "which works on the same theory" post hasn't appeared on my server--this is a response to that.
The car manufacturers have a vested interest in getting good gas mileage. They pay a tax based on average fuel economy. If they had a way to make a '76 Lincoln get 30 mpg by tacking on a gadget they would have used that instead of going to all the trouble of redesigning their entire product line, designing new engines, tooling up new production lines, and all the other costly and time consuming things they needed to do in order to avoid that tax.
--John
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:08:52 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

WOW! for an ultralight you sure are doing pretty good. What do you use when out in salt water?