I wish they had woodworking rental places

Not tool rental, but a place do do wood working. It seems that to have a very good shop, you need to spend between 5K and 10K on power tools, plus the space.

I could see a good business model for someone to open up something like this. Put a lot of good equipment in it and charge people by the hour to use them. I realize there would be a lot of wear and tear on blades etc, but it could be factored in. You would be responsible for your own hand tools, or could rent a set for extra $$ as part of the service.

The business could even sell stock items such as decent lumber and hardware. Of course, there would need to be adequate room for people to store their project stuff (large lockers / storage closets?).

Yes, insurance would be pricy and you would have to worry about people abusing the equipment, but employees that monitor the progress and verify that proper safety wear is being worn as well as safety practices are exercised can help reduce those costs. If a vocational school can do it with teenagers, surely insurance for adults would be affordable.

The business could even get a price break from an exclusive vendor, say Grizzly and be a showroom for their equipment. It probably wouldn't make sense to get top of the line equipment since most of your target audience would be beginners to intermediate. The experts would own their own equipment and probably wouldn't do as much business with the place.

Plus, there would be opportunity to offer classes and the like.

Do these exist anywhere?

Jeff

Reply to
astutesolutions

| Not tool rental, but a place do do wood working. It seems that to | have a very good shop, you need to spend between 5K and 10K on | power tools, plus the space.

| Do these exist anywhere?

I've thought about doing something like this on weekends. BYOW :-)

Morris Dovey

You're trolling, right? No?

Well, the model has always been interesting but almost in every case such ventures have failed.

I think the biggest reason is that there aren't enough people to try to keep it open. There are several WoodCraft stores that allow you to rent time on their equipment, but they are in the business of having a retail shop FIRST. Not as a ed center.

I do know that several schools have "private lesson" capability which is an open shop with an instructor nearby, but it can be expensive. One in our area is $75 per hour. If you are doing something simple, then it might be worth it, but if you're doing anything that requires a lot of different operations, you will rack up the dough.

Here's something to consider. Woodworking is a vast hobby. You can do it with simple hand tools to immense powertools. Anything is possible.

I'd do the following:

1) Search out your local adult ed. Often there is woodshop class. One HS near us has 3 nights open.

2) Look for a woodworking school and see if they have private lessons.

3) Look for a community college, etc. and see if they have furniture making or cabinet making course. Sometimes under Industrial Arts.

4) Check your local woodworking club.

5) Buy what you can and see if you can work around that. Perhaps all you need is just a circ. saw, and some hand tools. Buy used equipment (Craigslist, local classified) if you want some powertools. No - room - perhaps a portable workbench with handtools might be the only way to go for now.

If you live in BayArea (SF), there is a place "Sawdust' (I think) that is trying this.

Good luck!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjwallace

Not trolling; honest question.

You're probably right about the demand. I didn't know that people have tried and failed with it. I guess it would have to be in a market where there are a lot of wood workers. North Carolina would be a start (furniture areas).

Thanks for the detail you listed in your response.

Jeff

Reply to
astutesolutions

Yup

kkfitzge

We have one here in Saskatoon, Wood 'N Works. Last I checked it was $25/hour to rent shop time except for their huge resaw bandsaw.

I took a turning class there a whaile back, they do regular seminars.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It's worth noting that Wooden 'N Works here in ToonTown also sells tools and hardwood.

I've been here 11 years and they've been around all that time.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Wow, thats perfect. I wish they had one here in Louisville. I hope they continue to have good success.

Reply to
astutesolutions

They exist - heck, I teach at one. Check out

. I teach in the Calgary franchise, with 6,000 sq. feet of space. I traded teaching hours there for do-it-yourself time, and have since moved on to a part-time paid position.

Your observations (and most of those in the rest of the thread) are spot on. Yes, it's difficult to make sure that everyone is safe. There have been accidents (never on my watch). We have the students sign waivers, as you would do for any other activity associated with risk. I haven't heard of any of our franchises having legal issues in relation to that, but that could be also due to being in a less-litigious culture.

It's also difficult to keep up with tool maintenence. The tools get a _huge_ workout. As someone who is slowly building my own workshop, it's interesting to see the stress test that the machines go under, and which components fail first - I've eliminated several possible personal purchases based on observation alone.

On the whole, I think that the shop is successful and popular - the Calgary franchise has been around for more than half-a-dozen years.

Dudley

Reply to
Demosthenes

Woodcraft's headquarters store in Parkersburg WV recently closed their membership shop that they rented out for users. Apparently even the sales to the users and the fairly high fees couldn't justify the labor and insurance costs. They had to keep an employee in the shop whenever it was open and that employee had to stay in the shop, not also mind the store. They still have the shop and equipment, but it is now only used for "Woodcraft University" lessons and maybe some demo of some equipment.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

I chatted wiith them at the wood show here in Saskatoon a couple of years ago... they were looking for an investor to open here but it hasn't happened yet.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You're most likely right ... as "waivers" don't do much to contract away liability down here. the cost of liability insurance would likely be a big factor in the success of that type of venture.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, there is one about 30 minutes from me (I forget which town, but I think it's Sunnyvale, CA). You have to join their club which kinda sucks--you can't just rent by the hour. the shop IS nice though. for those desperate to work some wood, it beats nothing at all. They also have a store front with a few pieces of equipment and a bit of neander tools, all over priced.

Dave

Reply to
David

Yes, anyone remember the guy in New Jersey that opened up about a year ago? He had a web page about it. After the opening he has not posted so I have no idea how it is going.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's excellent, thanks! I didn't know they had one up here in Edmonton. Although their hours kind of suck (10 am to 4 pm), but what the heck.

Reply to
Clint

Our local community college has some weekend non-credit classes where the students get to work on their own projects in the school's shop. Why not check if a school in your area has a similar program?

Reply to
Steve

I actually looked into this with someone that was thinking it was time to do it. He has money, is a great businessman with two companies going now. He clicked on the idea when he found out what was needed to outfit a shop according to our local "experts".

The space wasn't a problem, but getting the sufficient electrical service was, as was getting it wired correctly. The necessary A/C for today's woodworker was enormous, as was the cost of designing and implementing a good DC system. No hoses on the floor to trip over in a classroom environment!

Found out a couple of distributors will sell direct if you are buying three table saws, three drill presses, two industrial dust collectors, a floor model board planer, a couple of jointers, 6 "high school" type maple topped work tables with lockers underneath for peronal stuff, about 40 sturdy metal stools for the tables, a couple of stationery sanders, a couple of medium sized lathes, a couple of mini lathes, about $3500 worth of clamps (don't snort... it isn't that many!), a finishing booth with the correct VOC evacuation equipment, and on and on and on. Came out to about $350,000 for all of it, including space prep, tools, freight and shipping, and some incidentals.

Still didn't scare my buddy off.

Here's what did.

I took him to Woodcraft where they have a lot of his setup for teaching, but not for walk in rentals, where they would need more of everything in our local Woodcraft shop. We talked to the franchise owner and the manager(s) which I know well. (I have my next class to teach there scheduled for Dec. 1st) They gave him the skinny: it is hard to fill a class with 5 -6 openings for an all day class with a qualified instructor for a $150 fee which would allow them to use pretty much all the tools. We talked about just renting shop time, and our local Woodcraft never found that alone to be profitable. They had to go to "classroom" format for insurance purposes so that their carriers could be assured that a someone from Woodcraft would be present at all times.

After that, I took him to our woodturning club, where we have some fantastic turners. Everyone was enthusiastic, and we have thrown the idea around of getting a really nice "club lathe" that would turn something larger than most folks can on their lathes. No one in the club wanted to spend the club money on it, even if it meant they could schedule time on it and use it FREE. He was horrified. Everyone was enthusiastic in lip service, but when the rubber met the road they simply weren't that committed.

Then I told him that I had invited some of my old friends over to work in my shop whenever they wanted, just bring the doughnuts or BBQ, depending on what time and what day you come. In twenty two years of having this shop... no takers. I have had folks come over with stuff for me to fix while they watched and drank coffee, but no one has ever come over and started a project from scratch and completed it. Not even something little. He was seeing that attendance and interest don't seem work out the same in the WW world.

The capper was the insurance. We found a carrier that could get us going for a $25K up front premium, and depending on shop hours and number of folks using equipment they would assess the second premium in six months. For talking points, their rep said that we should plan on about a $30K premium to cover instructors, overseers, and students. Instructors would need formal training certification from a school, college, or something that they could show the insurance guys that they were qualified to operate and instuct on the machines in the shop. They would not allow an experienced woodworker to baby sit. Qualified personnel only.

In our investigations, we took my favorite corporate atty to lunch to run this by him. He laughed his ass off at the idea of a signed, notarized waiver protecting anyone from being sued. Literally laughed. All the plaintiff has to do he said, was prove negligence of some sort, or neglect of any type.

His example: An idiot cuts a cord on a tool and doesn't want to pay for it so he quietly shuts the machine off and goes to work on something else. No one sees it since it is at the end of the rental day. So the next day, bright and early someone walks to that machine and turns it on and shocks the crap out of himself. Whose fault is it? Well, yours of course. You didn't check out each machine for readiness before the start of the business day.

A person is using a miter saw to cut small pieces. He wants to save on wood, so he is cutting one that is really small, and he launches the small piece into the guy working across the shop, giving him a ding that requires a few stitches. Whose fault is that? Well yours of course. You probably didn't tell the saw operator that it was unsafe to cut small pieces of unsupported wood with a 10 amp saw. Even if you managed to get this out in your miter saw speech, did he remember it? Was he clear on this point? Did he understand what the ramifications were if he actually did that? Would he admit it if it meant he had some culpability?

And did the guy that got dinged know he was at risk from other users? Did he know he was exposing himself to dangerous situations at the hands of others? Did you explain to him when he signed up that he might get hurt due to someone else's misuse or even an honest mistake when using some of the tools?

As a contractor, I am used to this. Guys sue thinking that if they win, and for them it is like hitting the lottery if they do. He was not used to this and was on another track altogether. He was thinking a group of like minded individuals could get together, talk, share tips and techniques and work on their projects in harmony and fellowship. He figured he wouldn't get it all right up front, but he would work on improvement every day the doors were open.

And all the rivers would run with chocolate, and the trees were made from candy canes.

As it was, he was literally nauseous, and couldn't get his near disaster out of his mind. It was my idea to meet with the attorney as he didn't feel it was necessary. He felt like he just barely dodged a bullet. And in this hugely sue-happy, "it wasn't my fault someone has to pay" society, he probably did.

If you have an old shop rental organization that is set up and working and is grandfathered in on some insurance, you are very lucky. I would love something like that around here, but there is nothing like it. And at the cost of starting something like that from scratch without a track record for insurers to look at, I doubt there ever will.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If you live anywhere near a military base you can check there. Don't know if you are eligible if you are not in the military, but some bases have very nive shops. Worth a phone call if there is one in the area.

Homer

Reply to
homer

I had an idea along similar llines. In this case, I'd convert an old warehouse or something like that into workshops. Sort of like indoor storage units, but with light and power outlets. A variety of sizes too. You rent a workshop on a lease basis, and fill it with your own tools.

Of course, the logistics would have been a nightmare...the variety of rooms, the electrical and heating for each shop, access, security, safety (flammable chemicals, welders, etc.). Talk about a nightmare!

John

Reply to
John T

Reply to