I was watching the NYW today and.....

was taking in Norm make a corner hutch. In walks swmbo and she says "Ooh! I want one of those!" Seeing that open door, I immediately said that it will require additional tools and they could be expensive. She said " Well that's never stopped you before!" Sounds like a green light to me! Choices, choices! I've been using a Delta contractors TS for quite some time but would love to find an old cabinet saw. Of course, I don't have a planer yet. I have most everything else I need. What else does the candy store hold??

Don't know if I'm looking for a response, just trying to document today in case I need this information later. DAGS and tell her "Don't you remember?" as that delivery truck pulls up in the driveway!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

was taking in Norm make a corner hutch. In walks swmbo and she says "Ooh! I want one of those!" Seeing that open door, I immeadiately said that it will require additional tools and they could be expensive. She said " Well that's never stopped you before!" Sounds like a green light to me! Choices, choices! I've been using a Delta contractors TS for quite some time but would love to find an old cabinet saw. Of course, I don't have a planer yet. I have most everything else I need. What else does the candy store hold??

Don't know if I'm looking for a response, just trying to document today in case I need this information later. DAGS and tell her "Don't you remember?" as that delivery truck pulls up in the driveway!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

So good I posted it twice. My apologies!!!!!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Oh heck, Why not just go pickup a nice wide belt sander, just like Norms, or a big spindle sander too :) And of course, you can never have too many routers!

Good Luck!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig

- Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

SawEyes

Whar the hell- even I wouldn't have believed her the first time .

Reply to
Victor Radin

Well, in case you believe like a few others that you need a cabinet saw to make cabinets, think again. Your Delta contractors saw will work fine if it works fine now. The cabinet saw name describes the cabinet style stand that houses the motor and that the top sets on. I would get a planer before upgrading the TS.

Reply to
Leon

For a TS upgrade, I'm not looking at the type of legs it stands on, cabinet or other wise. I'm looking at the upsize in cast iron. My contractors saw does work fine, with a lot of my input. And it is designed in such a way that upgrading it is difficult. An upgrade in a TS would eliminate some of my input which would increase the time I'm actually sawing with it.

Either way, I'm am thinking along those lines. The TS works fine for now but a planer I don't have. Not fun trying to "cheat" when glueing up boards!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

there are lots of price points for saws.

under $200 benchtop portables. no thanks

under $700 contractor saws. bare minimum

$700 to $2000 cabinet saws. nice machinery

mo money can get you big sliding setups, multiple blades, power feeds and other neat stuff.

Reply to
Bridger

You talking about a jointer or a planer?

Reply to
KYHighlander

Planer. One of my earlier projects I had gotten #2 pine boards from the Borg. I jointed the edges with the TS, then tried to match thicknesses as best I could. At the very least, I had one side even. The other side, where necessary, was belt sanded even and only where some type of connection was going to be made. Otherwise, the uneveness would never be publicly seen. A planer would have certainly made life easier back then! And now!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I say go for broke. you may never get an offer this good again. abuse it!

IMO, i'd rate the value of my bigger shop equipment as follows:

  1. of course, the table saw. it's the cornerstone of any shop. important features include lots of power. mine is 5hp and i'd love to go to 7.5, but that is probably overkill. the 5hp has never slowed down on anything, it eats 8/4 hard maple without flinching. also need to have a good fence. if you have the room, go for rip capacity. 52" and you'll never regret it. FYI, HTC makes a nice aftermarket fence with 7' rails that i put on my old Delta contractors TS years ago. made a huge difference.
  2. the jointer. again, i'd like to go bigger, but my 6" longbed powermatic is a great jointer for 0.
  3. the planer. couldn't live without that either. getting ready to upgrade to a 20" powermatic. looking forward to that.
  4. RAS. got by with 12" miter saw for quite a while, but it makes cross cutting wider boards (like shelves) very nice.
  5. don't forget the DC. without it, the top 3 are the equivalent of a man with one testicle (no offense to all one-balled wood workers out there). the DC is a life saver, and a time saver.
  6. 6"x80" horizontal belt sander. really a luxury for most, but it has a million uses and finding more every day. have 2HP shop fox bought new for 9. well worth that price.]
  7. shaper table. nothing more fun than making your own raised panel doors. although if you dont make very many, it's cheaper to just buy them.
  8. compressor. mine is adequate for what i do. 5hp 20 gallon. perfect for guns and blowing dust off myself at the end of the day, but not enough to run mine spray guns.
  9. drill press. don't use it for much of anything other than boring for hinges. occasionally i use it when making up different shop jigs.

Of course, there is an endless supply of smaller tools. I love my nailers/staplers. I havent counted them, but i'm sure i have at least

2 dozen guns in the shop. routers, big and small. the ones i actually use most are a couple of PC laminate trimmers. they are cheap ($100 or so), light, and easy to handle. i'll put bits as big as a 3/8" roundover in them and have never had a problem. dont forget, a guy needs good shop drills. i have 9 right now, but a variety of makes and models. planning to dump them all for new Bosch 14.4 compacts. nice drills and will have all matching batteries. CLAMPS CLAMPS CLAMPS. no such thing as too many. not even possible to do. the list goes on and on...sanders (belt, ROS vibe), biscuit cutter, right on down to rubber mallets and glue bottles. i say grab the AMEX and have a fun day of shopping.
Reply to
RemodGuy

Mine will make do for now.

Got a jointer. Just did as a matter of fact. 6" Delta. Found an add in the local paper and a deal that I just couldn't pass up. I haven't even had a chance to play with it yet.

Don't got that.

Had a RAS. Got rid of it. I use a Dewalt circular saw ( has a nice flat and square plate, with a sharp edge, for a base. ) Combined with my clamp on straight-edge, it makes perfect cuts. The RAS took up too much room! Anything smaller that needs to be cut, goes to the miter saw.

DC=?? ( Brain fart! )

That would be nice!

I've been making raised panel doors with my Freud panel bits, my 3 hp variable speed Porter Cable and a homebuilt table that I added to the left side of my TS. Took my sheet metal wing and added it to the right side of my TS. Nice wide table but no depth. My fence slides over to be used with the router and with an extended sacrificial piece, the miter can also be used when doing rails. Instead of a shaper, I'm thinking of building a dedicated router table. Although a shaper would be nice........

Very first home tool I got was a 5 hp, 20 gal compressor. ( I'm a mechanic by day. ) Runs spray guns just fine. Comes up only short when running cut-off tools or other tools that require a lot of volume. Spray guns I can run all day long.

Somewhere under all that plastic is some wood tools!

I have one floor model and a bench model that is a dedicated mortising machine.

I have plenty of the small stuff. That's easy to justify! Clamps I could use more of although there is always a way to clamp stuff with out using store bought clamps. They do make life easier though!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Or, use a router.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Got it. Brain gas went away. Have to add one of those to the list eventually.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

We have a winner! DING DING DING. get yourself a planer. you'll be happy you did.

Reply to
RemodGuy

can I borrow your credit card?... just for a minute, I promise....

Reply to
Bridger