I want a Woodcraft (in NJ)

Had some time available and the need for a cabinet scraper so decided to take a run from the office in Trenton to Woodcraft in Downingtown, PA (took about an hour one-way would be 2 hours from home).

WOW! They had hardware, hand tools, power tools, workbenches, vises, a classroom and even a decent selection of lumber. I could have easily spent hours in the store.

Here are a few places I know of in NJ Lumber

mainly power tools
Never been but I believe it is mainly power tools

Now that I am ready to take on bigger/better projects I need to get some *real* wood and that seems all but impossible in NJ. I have tried several places and most only carry 1x stock and the selection is usually poplar, pine and sometimes maple.

So does anyone know of places in NJ that sell wood or tools? What about online suppliers?

Reply to
RayV

Home Depot or Loews?

Just kidding...

Force is up by me... Greenbrook I think. They are good, but a bit far, eh?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I was only there once years ago and IIRC they had loads of power tools for contractors and a few stationary machines but little in the way of hand tools and WW specific tools like plate joiners. They are about an hour from my house and about 20 minutes from the MIL w/o traffic but 22 is never w/o traffic. I guess it wouldn't hurt to stop in again.

Reply to
RayV

Then open one, Thier initial investment isn't bad if you consider a partner. Lou

Reply to
Lou

I woudl wait for someone else who has been there recently to give a "review" since many shops up this way are basically becoming drop shippers and sellers of Chinese tools rather than real supply houses these days. Force may have changed since any of us were last there.

Of course, you could go just a bit further down 22 to Mountainside and eat at Famous Dave's... XXL Ribs and bread pudding for dessert... That would make it worth the trip even if Force was closed.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

The Woodcraft in Allentown PA is pretty decent, too. Might be a shorter drive from Trenton.

If you want a Woodcraft in NJ, you could always buy a franchise. 8-)

Wood: I used to work in Princeton, so I've been to Willard Brothers a few times. If you're happy with local species, check out East Coast Log in Bloomsbury. For a wider selection, Agincourt in Hillsboro is nice. Both are small operations, best to call ahead. You can find contact info in Woodfinder. I really like a couple of operations in PA Dutch Country. I easpecially like Hearne Hardwoods. That place is like a candy store ... but its a looong drive for me. And if you want plywood, Industrial Plywood in Reading PA is another place that qualifies as a candy store. I have purchased some wood on line, from woodworkerssource.net, and that worked out well.

Tools: In NJ, I am not aware of any brick and mortar places other than those you mentioned. I bought a jointer from AW Meyer, that was a decent experience. I bought a drum sander from Woodworker's Haven in Southampton PA at a WW show. I've not been to the store. I've tried a few on-line suppliers. I've found Amazon, Lee Valley, Rockler, and Woodworker's Supply to be reliable.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

I have a Famous Daves about five minutes from my house but never went. I'll have to check it out.

Reply to
RayV

The Famous Dave's in 202 or 206.... Princeton area?

If so, skip it. Make the drive to Mountainside. The food is the same, but the atmosphere is much better up here. Trust me. The one in the Princeton area is a strip-mall restaurant. The one in Mountainside is almost a theme-build building with "stuff" hanging from the ceiling, etc. Sorta like a mix between a good rib place and Cabellas on 78 in PA - without the non-foodstuffs for sale of course.

...And the XXL Ribs / Bread Pudding is the best intro to Dave's food - as long as you are plenty hungry!

Finally... When are WE meeting there?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

I go to the Woodcraft in Allentown, not far off of I-78, but it still takes me an hour to get there from home. Other than the wood show (this year in Somerset) there is really nothing except AW Meyer and Force Machinery, and then only for the big iron and the "normal" powertools you can get at the Borg or Lowes, albeit you get a better selection at AWM and Force.

I've often thought of exploring a Woodcraft franchise, but the idea of owning and running a business even though I'd love it, would leave no time for anything else, specifically making stuff out of wood.

For wood, I've been to the places mentioned by you and others in the thread, but was agast at the prices, so I rented an 18 foot box van and went out to Lewis Lumber in Picture Rocks PA (3 hour drive) and bought up a couple of thousand board feet of cherry, hard maple and poplar, with some walnut, and that's been keeping me in wood for the time being; prices are much lower even considering the van rental and gas. Mutt

Reply to
Pig

You sound like my wife, she grew up in Plainfield and hates it "out in the country", to me route 206 is a lonnng way from the country. She has also been promising for years to take me to Texas Weiner...

Reply to
RayV

available and the need for a cabinet scraper so decided

Do you ski? You can hit Blue Mountain in the morning then browse the tools in Woodcraft in the afternoon. Sounds like a perfect day to me...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I prefer the country... But would rather eat at a place that is a real restaurant and not some strip mall afterthought...

I'm looking to get the heck out of where I live (up by Wayne and the

46/80/23 intersection) and into the country personally.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Ray, welcome to reality. Here in Northern NJ there are VERY few tool suppliers and fewer hardwood suppliers. I usually get mine through online sources. Wasn't so long ago thatWoodworkers Warehouse had 2 locations in Northern NJ but it seemed only a matter of time before they would be out of business considering the miniscule volume of customers in their stores any time I paid a visit.

Reply to
ROY!

I'd trade the one here for a Lee Valley Tool Store!

Reply to
NuWaveDave