I want a gun

Page 2 of 3

Atta boy.

Stop making sense.
CW wrote:

Except that the "disease" has been around for more than 40 years now and the meds were about that old and used for other purposes when it was first diagnosed.
<snip>
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

As of 2004 the school nurse if she even suggested the use of a controlled substance would be in violation of Federal law.

There is a common misconception that "ADHD" and "unruly" are synonymous--I suspect that the increase in ADHD diagnosis in recent years has been mostly the result of increased recognition of the "inattentive" form, in which the kid is not unruly at all, he just spends most of his time with his mind somewhere else. In any case, if Ritalin makes an unruly kid less unruly it means that the kid didn't want to be unruly in the first place--if he _wants_ to be unruly Ritalin won't stop him.
Incidentally, my best friend in high school was on Dexedrine for ADHD (they called it "hyperactivity" then but it's the same condition) in 1969. This is nothing new.

Define "lack of discipline" and tell me where, specifically, you have seen this.

Which has what, exactly, to do with anything we are discussing? If you want to argue that the schools suck and the teachers are bumbling incompetents you'll get little argument from me, but this has nothing to do with ADHD.

Again, what does this have to do with ADHD?

Been a long time since this was a requirement. I used to catch my teachers in bloopers all the time and that was 40 years ago.

Again, this has zip all to do with ADHD.

If the student is already enrolled in the teacher's class then the teacher does not have that option unless and until quite a lot has happened. You might want to take a look at <http://www.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/iepguide/index.html to see the steps that must be followed before a kid can be placed in special education. Note that parental consent is required just to _evaluate_ the kid. It's not something a teacher can do unilaterally. Not anymore. The IEP committee gets to decide whether the kid stays in that teacher's class or is transferred to a different "mainstream" teacher or is placed in special education for all or part of his schooling.
The most commonly expressed concern I hear is that kids are getting mainstreamed who shouldn't be, not that kids are being placed in special ed who shouldn't be.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

My oldest son has ADD Attention Defecit Disorder similar to ADHD but without the Hyperactivity component. I couldn't agree more with Mr Clarke. He recently graduated from high school. None of his teachers ever accused him of being unruly. He did have one hell of a time paying attention in class. Stimulant drugs made school a little more bearable for him. He did still need a lot of coaching from us and his teachers to make it through. Some teachers did well for him.
Others seemed to resent his presence in their classroom and targeted him. Discipline was heaped on him. It did no good. Discipline is NOT THE ANSWER for these kids. The people who think it is are not paying attention to the facts. Maybe THEY need the discipine.
Heaping "discipline" on ADD, ADHD and Autistic kids only damages their self image and chases them out of school.
Roger
<...snipped...>

Priorities and what "the schools want" vary. In my school district there are schools where almost 50% of the kids have IEPs. The individual school will get a greater share of the "scant resources" and the student and family will get more services in theory. In practice the needs of the "normal" kids as well as the special needs kids are not the first priority of the school system, and both groups are underserved.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

Does it get enough share to make up for the increased costs?

Bingo. Not the "push the marginal kids off into special ed" scenario that Ed envisions.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I don't envision anything. I merely report what has actually happened in our schools. I hope it does not happen in yours.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If it is in fact happening in your schools then call the Federal department of education and blow the whistle. What part of "breaking the law" are you having trouble with?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

None. One teacher is no longer a teacher. My kids and grandkids are no longer in the school so my only issue now is to vote down the bloated budget.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Fired for failing to adhere to the IEP I hope.

Friend of mine was a schoolteacher for half his life, has a PhD in education, he agrees with you, every chance he gets he votes against increased funding for the schools.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

People equate dollars spent with quality of education. School administrators think if you are against the budget, you are against education.
One of the teachers is a member of the finance committee (and gets paid extra as a coach too) . He did not like it when I brought up the fact that the teacher's pay increase is more than what his property tax will be going up. My taxes increased $450 but I don't get a raise because the budget passed. There were also a couple of line items that the school board knew would be much less, but did not disclose it until after tax bills were sent out, but they kept the money. Spending is over $11k per student.
J. Clarke wrote:

I wish I was joking. Our overprotective politicians are busy trying to make all kids pansies.
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20060627/1a_offlede27_dom.art.htm http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read/21708 http://texaseagle.org/torch/05-02.html#dodgeball
RayV wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20060627/1a_offlede27_dom.art.htm
Maybe this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Sooner or later the "educators" are going to do something that is so clearly loony-tune that everyone in the body politic will recognize that they have no business being trusted with children. This may be it.
In my book "educators" rank with politicians, lawyers, and journalists. The only ones who are any good are the ones who fight the system and most of those go nuts after a while or burn out and change careers to something clean like sewer worker.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
This thread make me wonder about our society's changes. When I was a Freshman in high school the coach took all the boys in "health" class and asked to see our pocket knives. If you didn't have one you were told to get one by the next day. If it wasn't sharp you were told to sharpen it, and the coach meant sharp enough to shave you arm with. Didn't know how to sharpen it, get your dad or some other man to teach you, no excuse accepted. Then came the class on how to use it, basically it is a tool not a weapon. Failure to comply with the coach meant a trip to see " The Assistant principal", never even heard of anybody cutting anyone with a knife while I was in school. Although there were a few mumbledy peg injurys. Now I have to send a written note to school to allow my kid to carry a key with him.
Wow! I did not think I was going to start such a thread. Along the lines of knives at school. My dad was in the gun club AT school (Seattle, 1956) He had to bring his .22 to school every Tuesday. I don't think any public schools have gun clubs anymore. lol
Blaine

BKF wrote:

There are still a bunch of them...
http://www.usashooting.com/index.php?module=pnAddressBook&func=main
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

He
Run by the public school system?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That first page was not for the full auto version. It doesn't look like there is a how to page for the machine gun but maybe this will get you started
http://tinyurl.com/zoewd
Try this:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwin.xrea.jp%2Fhowto_p201.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
watch the wrap!