I've Rediscovered WD-40

Page 3 of 4
Hey Mike! Well you've got some of the same weather we have up there in Carnation. Sucks, doesn't it!!

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:59:36 -0700, "Phil Anderson"

I don't mind the cool but the amount of rainy days we've had really sucks.
Mike M
Phil Anderson wrote:

snipped
Don't throw away the K-Y just yet.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

It is great for removing road tar and bugs from your car paint. I also like to use it as a cologne on those special nights out on the town. ;)
Leon wrote:

And polishing a stainless kitchen sink (also far cheaper than the "stainless" cleaners).
On 7/15/2011 7:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:

a little atf on a rag works wonders on stainless also.
--
Steve Barker
On 7/15/2011 10:54 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

I suspect any oil is going to make ss look good but you like the red tint? ;~)

That she are!

Oh, no. Town runs require something much more delicate and powerful: Eu de Hoppes #9.
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer
On 7/15/2011 9:59 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Oh yeah, always smelled good after cleaning the guns. LOL
On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:

<snip good stuff>

I buy a gallon of WD40 at at time and refill a spray bottle as needed.
IME, there is nothing that does a better job of cleaning stainless steel appliances/fixtures, among other things.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/15/11 8:23 AM, Swingman wrote:

Note taken. I did not know that. (johnny carson voice)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:

Well, since it is basically kerosene, you've discovered what the old timers in the 1800's knew. Kerosene can be used for a myriad of things. Including wasp stings.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote the following:

It's main ingredients are mineral spirits and mineral oil.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

I know better, but I typed 'it's' instead of 'its'.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 7/15/2011 10:27 AM, willshak wrote:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40:
WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients. WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene) 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability) 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil) 10-%: Inert ingredients
IOW, what you said.
My understanding is that it also contains an amount of DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide), which gives it some of it's solvent/penetrating capability. People were using it (WD40) as an arthritis treatment back in the 70's. This is also a problem because DMSO can dissolve materials and carry them through the skin, into the bloodstream. This means whatever the WD40 dissolves, you're at risk of having get into your blood. In FidoNet conversations, a Ruger Firearms engineer, Ed Harris told me that WD40 was banned from their plants. He claimed it contained chlorine, and was found to cause stress cracking in the stainless steel they used in firearms. I always used his formula "Ed's Red" anyway.

WD-40 has changed it's formula a few dozen times over the last 30 years regardless of what their website BS claims.
------ "lektric dan" wrote in message wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) writes:

Pick up a can of white lithium spray grease and lose the WD-40; you'll never go back; particularly for locks.
scott
On 15 Jul 2011 23:49:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I prefer "fluid film" or Lloyds AD2000. AD3000 is a bit heavier (kinda like the LPS1 and LPS2 product.
And yes, in Canada WD40 was convinced to remove "lubricates" from the label.
Now says "stops squeaks, cleans and protects, loosens rusted parts,fres sticky mechanisms,drives out moisture".
No "lubricates" or "penetrates" on the main label. (but still there in the "applications" on the back.)

Works for while. Try Kroil or PB Blaster if you want a lubricant.