I've had a discussion with friends

Page 1 of 3
who are also woodworkers young & old and all agree the word *Dado* used for the terminology of rebating a piece of wood,does not sound right.
Sorry guys this gets the big thumbs down on the use of this word in the description. A bit like calling a rainwater pipe a shaft,it doesn't fit. :-)
Maybe the guy who first phrased the word and its terminology was either pissed or wants shooting. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Sir Ben, As soon as you get the rest of the woodworking world to see things your way you can help me in my plan to convert all clocks to the Doo Wee Decimal time format. No more "60 seconds", "60 minutes", or "24 hours in a day." From then on it will be 100 MOMENTS in a WHILE and 100 WHILES in a DAY. Days will remain the same length as the current day but they will be broken down into the 10,000 smaller MOMENTS as contrasted to our current 86,400 seconds in a day. Of course we can use metric terminolgy to have, as an example, MILLI or MICRO MOMENTS as well as KILO and MEGA MOMENTS. Clocks would look real cool too. No more Dados, no more seconds. Works for me.
Marc
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

: who are also woodworkers young & old and all agree the word *Dado* used for : the terminology of rebating a piece of wood,does not sound right.
Well, that's because a rabbet and a dado are different things (rabbet is along the edge of a board, a dado not).
: Sorry guys this gets the big thumbs down on the use of this word in the : description. : A bit like calling a rainwater pipe a shaft,it doesn't fit. :-)
    -- Andy Barss

Are you saying 'rebate' or 'rabbet'?

He is saying rebate.

I just looked it up (should have done that first), and 'rebate' is a variation of 'rabbet', so, regardless of the sound of 'dado' , a rabbet is not a groove and is inappropriately used as the term for one.

That is correct. However, ;~) you can use a Dado blade to cut a rabbet.
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:46:53 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Perhaps us colonials just do not use the same language. But then in the Northeast USA Earl = oil.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

It doesn't sound right because it *isn't* right -- because they're not the same same thing.
[following ASCII art is best viewed in a fixed-space font e.g. Courier]
This is a rabbet (USA) / rebate (UK) ___________ ___| | |_____________|
This is a dado (across the grain) or groove (along the grain) __________ __________ | |__| | |______________________|
--
Regards,
Snip>

and in Oz it's a trench
regards John
John B wrote:

Yes but trench fits the bill,in other words it sounds right ie Dig me a trench in the ground. Cut a trench in the wood.
Now say it with Dado Dig me a dado in the ground Cut me a dado in the wood.
Pffft!
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I look at it this way. If you understand the meaning of what is being said, it doesn't matter what it's called. Every language has it idiosyncarsies (spelling????). I understand the meaning of boot, spanner and torch as well as their equivalent in my language here in the US so therefore it matters not the difference in language spoken. Just if I understand what is being said and if not, I'll ask for an explination so that I can.

Well you are simply on the wrong side of the pond if you don't know all the descriptions. LOL
1.. Architecture. The section of a pedestal between base and surbase. 2.. The lower portion of the wall of a room, decorated differently from the upper section, as with panels. 1.. A rectangular groove cut into a board so that a like piece may be fitted into it. 2.. The groove so cut. Rebate, Now that is money that you get back after buying something at the store and filling out rebate paperwork, right? :~)

OK. You win. No more dados. Now what? Care to work on the words "cookie", "hood", "wrench", and "flashlight" next? They British terms for each are "biscuit", "bonnet", "spanner" and "torch" respectively. Then there is "perspex", "valve", and much more.
Cheers!
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Nope,all the above words are recognised as what they are in the UK and valve has a few meanings for that word,Plexi is your word for perspex.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

All I can say is that you lot are lucky! at least you share the same language, you don`t live in Holland! here a dovetail joint is a " Zwaluwstaartverdinding" rebate is Sponning and torch/flashlight is Zaklantaarn. Eddie.
Eddie wrote:

I know a woman in holland,the netherlands to be precise. She can type very good english yet cant speak the language.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Now, if a cookie is really a biscuit, then why can't I get my McDonalds breakfast sandwich on a choclate chip 'biscuit'?!!? Mmmmmmm... chocolate chips and bacon... aaaahaaa
Bonnet will never, ever be used to desribe a part of an American man's car/truck. EVER!
Don'tcha think that 'wrench' just sounds like what you do with it?
Mike

If you've learned to speak fluent English, you must be a genius! This little treatise on the lovely language we share is only for the brave. Peruse at your leisure, English lovers. Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail
18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.
Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.
Quicksand works slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?
If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese?
Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend.
If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? Is it an odd, or an end?
If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?
You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.
English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.
P.S. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"?
Dave Hall wrote:

PMSL!
French students come to the UK to learn English...they don't stay long. lol
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite