I think it's gonna work! (Topic revisit)

Since I don't want to blow the bucks for a router lifter or a router with a micro adjustment feature to slap into my cheapo bench router table, I am trying something else. I've purchased a small scissors jack with a low top clearance (3 1/2"). I fastened the router table legs on top of some 4" blocks and screwed the blocks into the work bench top. Now when I want height adjustment I just slide the jack under the upside-down router, hike it up, fiddle up and down as required, then lock the router slide into place, remove the jack - and rout. Works fine so far.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

I've seen that recommended, but it seems awfully clumsy to save a couple bucks. But if it works for you, great!

Reply to
Toller

There was someone on here some time ago that did the same. He had pictures of it on his website.

Reply to
CW

If that gets old after a while, I saw a cheap solution to router lifting in an issue of Woodsmith quite a while back. The guy who sent in the suggestion used the crank end of a pipe clamp as a lifting screw, and mounted the pipe to the underside of the router table with a flange. Seemed like a simple enough solution, and possibly a bit easier than using a jack.

Reply to
Prometheus

Sun, Oct 29, 2006, 2:10pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk (foggytown) doth sayeth: Since I don't want to blow the bucks for a router lifter or a router with a micro adjustment feature to slap into my cheapo bench router table,

After reading so many people talking about their fancy router lifts, adjusters, or whatall, I thought about a scissors jack. And decided not. I can pull the router base, or whatever you want to call it, out of the table, router and all, make whatever adjustment I need, then drop it back in. Probably about as fast as a lift or whatever, as accurate, and loads less $.

JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Reply to
J T

That was my solution, too. My PC690 just isn't that heavy, so I just pop it out with the base, adjust, and stick it back in. Easy. And even better, cheap!

Reply to
Prometheus

But you can't make adjustments relative to the table top when the unit is removed from the table. And if you make an adjustment that turns out to be 1/16" wrong, you have to go through the whole process again. I just make a slight turn on the jack.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

I must have described it poorly- The plate the router is mounted on is shop-made from hardboard, and sits in a rabbet so it is flush with the table. To adjust, I pull the whole plate, router attached, so it's like just adjusting a router with a large baseplate. The offset for the table is built into the plate.

Reply to
Prometheus

Tue, Oct 31, 2006, 4:01am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth erroneously state: And even better, cheap!

No, no, no. The word you want is "frugel". That way people will say of you, "Oh yeah, that's the frugel guy", and not "Oh yeah, the cheap bastard". LOL

JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Oct 31, 2006, 2:11pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcharter.net (Prometheus) doth sayeth: I must have described it poorly- The plate the router is mounted on is shop-made from hardboard, and sits in a rabbet so it is flush with the table. To adjust, I pull the whole plate, router attached, so it's like just adjusting a router with a large baseplate. The offset for the table is built into the plate.

I don't think you mumbled. You've got a setup somewhat similar to mine. My base, plate, or whatever you wanna call it is 1/2"plywood, about 1'X8", and drop in a cutout so it's even with the table top. I adjust it to the base, and as long as it's adjusted to that, it's adjusted to the table top. No prob. I don't see any problem with accuracy. Yank it, adjust it, drop it back. I'd say it's less fiddley then a jack, probably as fast, or faster. And, way more frugel. Mine works well enough if, and when, I make another router table, I'll use the same system again.