I THINK I'VE FOUND MY STAIN

Page 2 of 2
I believe you want to keep the ammonia in, as there needs to be some basic (caustic, high pH) material to pull out the colored acids from the nuts.
Also the longer you let the stuff steep the richer the color will be.
Hickory, Doc!
An Engineer, Doc Faraday, made it his regular habit to stop off at a bar for a hazelnut daiquiri on his way home. The bartender knew of his habit and would always have the drink waiting at precisely 5.15 p.m. One afternoon as the end of the workday approached, the bartender was dismayed to find that he was out of hazelnut extract. Thinking quickly, he threw together a daiquiri made with hickory nuts and set it on the bar. The Doc came in at his regular time, took one sip of the drink and exclaimed, "This is'nt a hazelnut daiquiri". No, I'm sorry", replied the bartender, "It's a hickory daiquiri, Doc". !
Bryan in Bear,Delaware