I think I found a plane diamond in the rough.

I picked up an old stanley bedrock no 603 this weekend for 5 bucks, The blade and all mechanical parts appear to be in good shape but in need of cleaning and sharpening. The base looks like its coated with old dry paint streaks.
Here are a couple picks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/trilect/IMG_0621.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/trilect/IMG_0622.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/trilect/IMG_0624.jpg
I hope I can find a few more, this is the first plane I ever owned and will need to learn how to set it up for use.
That's a very good start for a first plane, especially for $5!
That's a very good start for a first plane, especially for $5!

Looks like the bedrock version of a type 11 or so. Can't quite read those patent dates on the body.
What kind of logo is on the front of the blade?
Regardless, nice snag! You could probably off it on ebay for $70 or so. SH

I'll have to check it out closer when I get home.
Modat22 wrote:

I agree, and you suck BTW. Do yourself a favor though, clean the runst off it, if any, and put it aside. Get a #4 or a #5 and use it as your learning how-to plane. Save the Bedrock until you really know what you're doing. Take a look at Jeff Gorman's website as well as Patrick Leach's. Then you'll be much better equipped to deal with a Bedrock. YMMV.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Don't even do that much - just put it aside as it is, in a dry cardboard box. Then restore your first plane from a low-value clunker and use this as your second restoration.

Agreed. Pay another $5 for a #5, which is about the best size for a bench plane. Then read the usual resources (Jeff Gorman etc.) which are posted here regularly. Learn electrolysis, learn sharpening, learn plane fettling.
By the looks of it the front handle has split and is taped up. If it's a rosewood knob, then it's worth gluing that up neatly and restoring - otherwise they're available as spares, or you can say hi to a wood turner.
I think it's a type #13 or so, as it appears to have a cast ring around the front knob. A good age for user planes and a #3 is a nice small smoother, when well tuned. Bit delicate for a main plane, so find it that #5 to keep it company.
Or you could just use this plane as a dust collector - finding a $5 Bedrock on your first outing is major suckage !

I live is a very rural area where the cows outnumber the humans by 5 to 1, Its not unusual to find a bunch of antique tools and the like at yard sales or in old abandoned barns. I've found many wood block planes without any hardware but I didn't buy them. Another common antique tool in my area is a shingle cutter (Not sure if that's the proper name or not)

I believe that the proper term would be a froe.
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000583.php

I udderstand now. I guess they want something with a bigger handle, to work better with hooves.
Modat22 wrote:

So where do you live? Lots of people around here would love to find a place to get old tools. You might be able to help them out.
Dave in Fairfax

Just drive around Custer Kentucky and stop at a few garage sales, estate sales etc.
Modat22 wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood me. I do quite well on findinng planes and other goodies. When I can't find it, the blacksmith at the National Park that I volunteer at makes tools for me, to fit, at very nice prices and quality. In the past I've provided planes and spokeshaves to wRECkers who were having problems finding or affording them where they are. Some places don't have such a good access to tools as we do. What I was suggesting was that you help others, if you feel like it.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

sure I'll keep my eyes open. post what your looking for and a picture that would help.