I stole from Home Depot!

Page 2 of 4

Hey, I bean there! And I've always meekly opened my bag and handed them the receipt to compare...
Next time I might try to just keep walking and when they stop me, in a loud voice I'll ask, "Are you saying you think I stole something from your store?!"
In all likelyhood, the kid'll stammer out a "no" and I'll thank them and again head out to my truck...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Rephrase your statement to "Are you ACCUSING me of stealing something from your store?". Do this with witnesses in the immediate area...
Dave

Costco and Sams frame the request in a light that they are making sure they didn't charge you for something you didn't get.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They also check everyone's basket, not just spot checks. Therefore, I don't feel singled out at Costco. Besides, the prices are so good, I'm not gonna complain about them checking baskets at the exit...
dave

Walmart here in S'toon only checks items that aren't bagged, ie larger items in the cart. If the checker is right there, I don't mind the 2.5 seconds it takes to smile, say hello, and show her the receipt that has the item highlighted by the checkout clerk, but if she's busy checking someone else I just walk out the door (I'm certainly not going to queue for them) and have never been chased after.
By Thu, 11 May 2006 15:01:25 -0600, Dave Balderstone
"Re: I stole from Home Depot!" to rec.woodworking:

Keep on supporting the chinese military by shopping at Walmart with the other sheep. They will soon be YOUR overlords. Please try not to piss them off....
/..
--
find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,
By Thu, 25 May 2006 21:55:56 -0500, "Petrified Woodworker"
"Re: I stole from Home Depot!" to rec.woodworking:

You shop at Megalo Mart for crazy low prices. Most, if not ALL, goods sold there are from China. With their tremendous market power, they've driven higher priced goods made elsewhere in the world from their shelves. Other stores that couldn't compete with them have died out.
I bet you can easily stipulate to the above, eh, aphorisms.
China produces a tremendous amount of low priced, low quality goods. The Chinese Communist party runs China. The Chinese Military runs the CCP.
Well damn, it's too complicated for you!!
Sorry!!!!!!!
/..
--
find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,
Al wrote:

so you are backing away from your earlier assertion??
Dave

Nope, I walk through Fry's without the receipt check too. They ask to see my receipt, I say no and keep on walking. Stores like Fry's and Wal-Mart rely on the fact that most people are sheep and will mindlessly do whatever someone in a supposed position of authority tells them to do.
They can no more demand to see your receipt than you can to see the contents of their pockets. Probable cause requires a lot more than exercising your legal rights.
On Thu, 11 May 2006 20:21:34 GMT, Brian Henderson

this may be true, BUT, chances are if you take something back and there is no mark on it from the door checker, they're not likely to allow you to return the material.
Here lately, WalMart has really backed off in our area, they just like to check the carts that are carrying oversized items that are not bagged.
personally, i stop, not because i am a sheeple, more to the fact that stealing affects all of us in the long run.
nanook wrote:

BS
How many times has letting them look through your things stopped you from stealing? Can't you stop on your own?

LOL!! funny, but you know what i'm talking about, CW. I personally don't steal, but i'm sure it acts as a deterrent for some folks.

They can't legally do that either and what's to stop you from going home and putting on your own highlighter mark? So long as you have a receipt, they are obligated, under the law, to treat you equally or they open themselves to a major lawsuit.

Walmart has gotten sued a lot over this, my local store just has an old guy sitting by the door in case the alarm goes off, they don't even pretend to check receipts. There is one Walmart that I used to have to go into to get things for work where the little old lady at the door would literally chase you out into the parking lot screaching at the top of her lungs.

If you're not stealing, what difference does it make? And you think the people who are stealing are going to stop?

You, sir, "don't know what you don't know."

You are, quite simply, _wrong_.
There is *lots* of case-law on that point.

"one thousand percent" wrong.

*IF* they have notice prominently posted where you see it upon _entry_ to the store, they _do_ have the *legal*right* to do so.
They have made it a condition of entry onto the premises -- their _private_ _property_ -- and you have *agreed* to that condition by entering the premises.
The stores that have gotten "in trouble" over the matter have had trouble _because_ of 'defects' in the posted notice. e.g. 'not sufficiently visible'.
John Emmons :

Robert Bonomi :

John Emmons :

Robert Bonomi :

John Emmons :

Robert Bonomi :

What case law? I have not seen one sign, anywhere, that advises me that the store may detain and inspect my property upon completion of the sale and prior to my exiting the premises. Fry's, Home Depot, Best Buy and Costco all have lemmings lined up to have their stuff pawed over by a snot nosed teenager or some menacing guard. Me, I just say excuse me and walk out the door.
Dave
Al wrote:

show us a statute to support your statement.
Dave

They can ask, they cannot demand, unless it's something local to Oregon. Likewise, if you set off their stupid door alarms, you are not obligated to stop. It is not a sufficient legal reason to detain you because some clueless checker didn't deactivate the alarm.
The only exception to this are membership stores where you have to be a member in good standing with a membership card to enter the store. There, you've signed an agreement to let them do it as a part of your membership and if you refuse, they have the right to revoke your membership.
Really?
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html#amendmentiv
I believe that something I own is covered under "effects".

Since you top-posted a post that had been responded to in proper chronological order, we have no clue as to whether you are agreeing with the first post or the second. ... and frankly, I'm not interested in having to wade through some legal link to find out.