I stole from Home Depot!

Page 1 of 4

Went to the local HD yesterday to pick up a bunch of sandpaper and a few 5/16" and 3/8" bolts I needed. Found what I wanted and decided to speed things up by going to the self-checkout line. Bad move.
The sandpaper scanned fine, but I was at a loss how to deal with the bolts. 4 @ $0.13 and 4 @ $.14, IIRC. No bar code, no obvious way to enter them into the system. I futzed around a bit while several sales droid types hung out and observed the chaos.
Eventually, I found a screen that said something like "press here to summon help", which I did. Still no assistance from the droids was forthcomming. Finally, in desperation, I just dropped the bolts into my bag, which immediately generated a message that the weight of my bag didn't match what I had scanned, and that I should remove the extra items from the bag. Still no assistance-droids.
Some more futzing, and the machine prompted me to swipe my credit card. A droid came over, helpfully showed me how to swipe it, and watched me complete the transaction.
Sigh. I walked out the door with my $11 or so worth of paid-for sandpaper, plus (by my calculations), $1.08 worth of hex-head bolts, shamelessly absconded with. What's a customer to do?
Ummmm... Couple quick options: 1) Wave your arm to attract the attention of the "sales droids" 2) Talk to the "sales droid" when it comes over to help you with the credit card transaction 3) Cancel the transaction, and walk all the way over to the regular tills.
It's only a dollar's worth of items, so I doubt that HD is going to go broke over it. But the fact that you couldn't scan the items in is not really an excuse for not paying for them, IMHO.
Clint

I have done this three times at both Lowes and HD. Hollar at the top of your voice, "Your stupid machine does not work." I guarantee, you will get their attention and some service. The short embarrasment on you part is well worth seeing their shocked faces. Since everybody knows that what you said is true, they all laugh with you, not at you.
Bill in WNC mountains

I once stood in a store waiting for a salesperson for way too long. I eventually whipped oput my mobile phone called the store and explained the problem. Inside of 60 sec I helpful person was speeding toward me. YMMV
Mekon
Heehee...I did the same thing at a Home Depot once, called the manager and asked him why he wasn't running one of the cash registers since the lines weren't moving and there were no cashiers to be found, amazingly, after I hung up, he found some employees to put to work.
One other time I called and asked the manager on-duty why she had someone who was basically incompetent stopping every customer at the door and demanding to see their reciepts, told her as I had told the employee that I thought I had stolen something to call the police.
I refuse to stop and have my belongings gone thru by drones.
John

On Wed, 10 May 2006 04:32:54 GMT, "John Emmons"

You have absolutely no legal obligation to do so and shouldn't. Once you purchase something and they take your payment, you own the item and have no obligation whatsoever to show it to anyone, any more than you can demand the drone empty their pockets for you.
I've had some of them being very insistant, but I ignore them. It's funny to see some of them running out into the parking lot after me yelling "I have to see your receipt".
No you don't. You *WANT* to see it, you don't have to.
Wal-mart has gotten sued over this and has lost every time. They have no right whatsoever to demand to see anything. They can ask, you can decline. They cannot stop you and frankly, I'd love to see one of them try, my lawyer wouldn't mind picking up some free and easy money for me.
They can legaly check your bags/carts from the store and verify your receipt at least in Oregon. Never had HD or Lowes do it mostly Frys Electronics and Walmart.
Al

They can legally do it anywhere, if you let them.

receipt
and
I find that very hard to believe. Once I pay for something, I own the property. No one has the legal right to search my belongings without reasonable suspicion that I've done something illegal. If the police can't do it, I doubt very seriously that a drone working for WalMart or Home Depot can. When I say that they "can't" obviously if they're willing to make it into a physical confrontation they can, but not legally and certainly not without my sueing them and winning and possibly filing criminal charges against them for battery.
Stores and their employee's don't enjoy any more legal rights to search or detain citizens than any other business.
John
wrote:

someone
that

Reasonable suspicion is the sirens going off from the magnetic strip on some packages. First time it happened, I did stop, but raised hell with the manager because of the incompetence of the cashier that did not deactivate it.
Another time, the cashier was not able to get to it on a large item so she said she'd just wave me on at the door. What she did not know was the device came of easily and I stuck it on the bottom of the cart for the next user.

Nope, that's not even reasonable suspicion. Their security team has to have proof that you stole something (ie. you on video doing it). The alarms at the doors are largely a deterrent, not a way to catch people. You have zero obligation to stop.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Regardless, if you've ever tried to remove one of those damn magnetic lock thingies yourself you'll probably decide it is well worth your while to turn around at th edoor and go back to get it taken care of.
--

FF

Brian Henderson wrote:

Regardless of whether or not the person is oblidged to stop the notion that _reasonable_ suspicion must be based on _proof_ is just plain wrong. It must be based on evidence, but that evidence may fall short of proof.
--

FF

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Those things are great, you here them all the time at Home Depot and Lowe's "Beep Pardon us but we failed to remove the inventory control tag" Of course the inventory control is done by scanning the bar code, but anti-theft sounds more negative than inventory control. When I was in college a guy in my class used to spend many an evening in Best Buy peeling those tags off of merchandise and carefully placing them stick side up on the floor where they would be stepped on and get stuck to someone's shoe so they would set off the alarm when they tried to exit the building.
Eugene Nine wrote:

I got a wallet for Christmas a couple years back that set off the alarms at EVERY store I entered and exited. I looked through the wallet for a tag and failed to find it until I got really creative in my search. It was WELL hidden and very tiny. Now I have peace and quiet as I go through the entrances.
Dave

Heh, for the longest time we had one of those plastic security tags on a portable stroller that nobody had a tool to take off and doing it otherwise would tear the fabric and ruin the stroller so we just set off alarms going into and out of a lot of stores. It was as interesting to see which ones weren't going off as it was to see which ones were.
It must have been a year or so before we found someone who could actually take it off, I guess it was an old system or something.

In my experience, those store (and library) alarms draw as much attention from "official" store personnel as do neighborhood car alarms.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Al wrote:

You are making an offtopic argument then, as what's being asserted is that snooping through your bag thing is completely voluntary on your part and they have no right to do it if you refuse. If they suspect you are a shoplifter they have procedures to follow. If they don't, they have procedures to follow.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/nc-supreme-court/aug0294/giantgenie
     The trial court erred in directing verdict for defendant      grocery store manager as to plaintiff's claim for assault and      battery where the evidence tended to show that the manager      accused plaintiff of stealing cartons of cigarettes, grabbed      plaintiff's arm, and pulled him two aisles down toward the      store office. Since defendant manager was acting within the      scope of his employment by the corporate defendant, the      manager's actions will be imputed to the corporate defendant      under the doctrine of respondeat superior.
     etc.
er
--
email not valid

Like this whole thing is on topic? "rec.woodworking"
I give you win yep I am and was off topic was the question about a TS? BS? Router? Planer? Jointer?
Al