I Still Ai'nt Dead

Here's a bit of an update on how my life's been going lately in general. Nah, I'm not back. Not yet anyway. Not for more than just posting an occassional link or inspiration. I kept track of one or two threads I posted, but other than that, not even lurking. - more relaxing that way. I did see yesterday that your resident troll, Buttercup, is sill spreading his/her/its lame BS. Limp, dorky, little Buttercup, can't lead, can't follow, and refuses to get out of the way. And to think, some of you guys used to bitch about all the plans I posted. LMAO
Been getting the shop straightened up a bit - had to, getting more "stuff" in it. So, it's a bit fuller, but now actually have more work space available. Even got the older son interested in making Tikis, but he's decided no chainsawing them. So, I'm gonna glue two chunks of 2X4 together, and turn him some mallets so he can carve them. He can get scrap wood at job sites, and we'll glue some 2X8s, 2X12s, etc., together, round 'em, and go from there. I've been looking for a reason to get a hand power planer anyway, this is it. The younger son found a complete front clip off a '80 Malibu, in excellent condition, even the same color, to replace the clip on my '78 El Camino. FREE. And both of them say they'll do the work. The El Camino has only got one dent in the right front fender, but they would rather replace the whole front, than let me get it fixed. I only wish I could get them this enthused about finishing my Luv. The only major difference will be 4 headlights instead of 2. I'm "very" happy with the El Camino, finally was in the right place at the right time, instead of 5 minutes too late. It's easily worth maybe 3 times the $1400 I paid, and probably more. I'll possibly get the rear end changed later, for a bit more pickup, but it's peppy even so, and sounds great. I found a Q-Jet out in the shop, the younger kid stuck it out there, may get that rebuilt, and put it in place of the Edelbrock on there now. Love a good Q-Jet, the sound when the secondaries kick in is awesome, and good mileage on the primaries.
I still do web searchs, but lately most has been automotive related, or at least not wood related. Even so, run across a surprising amount of wood relaed plans, just haven't bothered posting many.
The garage project is starting to gain a bit of momentum now. Supposed to talk to a concrete guy tomorrow. When it finally gets up, plan on getting my Dub project out of the way, and then maybe starting on a boat. Also thinking about another shed, to house the kid's engines and transmissions he seems to attract like a magnet.
After around 45 years out of MI, my mother now thinks I should move back up there. "You can get used to the winters again." Yeah, sure, right. After all those years in places with relatively mild winters, and some years in countries where 70 degrees was a "cold" winter, I have no desire to even try. Yeah, I might acclimate to the winters, but no way I could even "begin" to acclimate to the people.
I may have found out what's wrong with the '79 GMC. The balancer may need to be replaced. The 305 engine starts, and runs fine. Its only on the road the noise starts. Sounds like the fan is hitting the radiator, but it's not. I've been advised it's likely the balancer. The body is in typical condition, mostly decent, with a bit of rust. The A/C compressor needs replacing. Transmission is great - a 350. Clear title. Anyone near me, I'm about 15 miles east of Raleigh, needs a parts, or beater truck, it's for sale. $400. Tires and wheels are probably worth that much. Or make a reasonable cash offer. I'm not guaranteeing the balancer is the problem, and I'm not guaranteeing anything else - besides the fact that is's been dependable for me for the last 5 years, until the present problem - otherwise I wouldn't be getting rid of it. It's a long bed, wagon spoke wheels, good tires, good glass, step rear bumper, heat works, horn does not work, heavy duty trailer hitch.
I may have come across a source for some nice clean free wood. I won't know for a few days. Free wood is always good. Life is basically good.
I also wound up with two Buick turbos, for a total price of about $110, including shipping. So, now I'm thinking the Dub may well get a twin turbo setup. Won't be a biggie to do, once they're rebuilt, and I figure I can set up a free-floating system, with about 5 pounds of boost. Should be fun. Later, once the system is fine-tuned, and the engine rebuilt, may crank up the boost a bit.
I will be checking back on this thread, for a few days anyway.
Later
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown

Just your luck. He was gone for about a month and just came back a few days ago.
The rest of it sounds like you're doing ok, can't ask for much more than that.
Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 1:01pm snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) has said: Just your luck. He was gone for about a month and just came back a few days ago. The rest of it sounds like you're doing ok, can't ask for much more than that.
Maybe he's out on bail. Or out of detox.
Yep, all in all, doing reasonable. Way I figure, that's about as good as it gets. Pprobably got about everything I actually need, and maybe a fair share of what I want. Reasonable. I trust you're doing reasonable.
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown
J T wrote:

Shoot, I know you ain't dead. You spend the better part of a week trying to pry my secrets for dried, polyed, road kill push sticks out of me. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.     gronk,     jo4hn
Didn't JOAT post this same message about a year ago, and a year before that, and a year before that...?

Yes, both he and Abe Vigoda are still alive. http://www.abevigoda.com/
Sun, Apr 23, 2006, 5:33am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) Yes, both he and Abe Vigoda are still alive. http://www.abevigoda.com /
Isn't he a zombie now?
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown

He's probably just making sure he still exists and mostly functioning properly.
Sun, Apr 23, 2006, 3:45am snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth claimeth: He's probably just making sure he still exists and mostly functioning properly.
Wrong. I use a more sophisticated and scientific methodology then that. When I go to a doctor, I ask if I'm still alive and breathing. So far, the answer has always been yes. Ain't science wonderful.
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown

It's a little different for me. When I go to the doctor, I'm usually surprised to find out that I am still alive and functioning.
Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 11:00pm (EDT-2) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca (DaveBalderstone) querieth: Didn't JOAT post this same message about a year ago, and a year before that, and a year before that...?
Nah. Last one or two, yes. One before that was I Ai'nt Dead. Different.
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown
Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 11:16am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@mahalo.charter.net (jo4hn) sayeth: Shoot, I know you ain't dead. You spend the better part of a week trying to pry my secrets for dried, polyed, road kill push sticks out of me. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
Waste my time. Ya selfish bastard.
LMAO
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:38:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Ever find plans for a Basswood dart board? Not the baseball type though.
Thanks Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 1:46pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Markem) Ever find plans for a Basswood dart board? Not the baseball type though.
No.
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:06:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Thanks
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:38:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I hope I got the right idea from the message.
Have fun putting the new front clip on!
Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 11:19pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@DunderMifflin.com (Barry) doth mumble: I hope I got the right idea from the message. Have fun putting the new front clip on!
If you have become a Jehovah's Witness, you got the wrong idea.
Ha! I'm not touching that clip. Both sons volunteered to do it, otherwise I'd not have agreed.
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown
Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 11:19pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@DunderMifflin.com (Barry) doth sayeth: <snip> Have fun putting the new front clip on!
I turned one mallet for my older son today, and loaned him 6 chisels. While I was over there I saw the clip. It was in the back of a nice extendad cab S10 the younger son got for $400 - and it only has a exhaust leak.
The clip is in excellent condition. I'd been trying to track down JUST a fender, pricey. This is a complete clip - both fenders, grill, front bumper, fender liners, lights, the whole schmear. And the younger kid got it for me for free. I can only imagine how much it would cost if I'd had to buy it. Damn kid does that sort of thing all the time. He can be a PITA at times, but does come thru when it counts.
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown
Hi, JOAT!
Sorry I knocked your posts. They are certainly more insightful and entertaining than the "alternative" we have been receiving from our pabala baba. Glad you're doing well!
Cheers, Bobby www.awhangar.com
Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 5:33pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Bobby) waves and shouts: Hi, JOAT! Sorry I knocked your posts. They are certainly more insightful and entertaining than the "alternative" we have been receiving from our pabala baba. Glad you're doing well!
That pinecone turkey's starting to look pretty darn good about now isn't it? LMAO
JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude. - Unknown