I should just hire Leon...

...or Karl or SOMEbody!

I've been working on the last thing for our two master bedroom vanities. My side is finished but a pullout remains for hers. It will have four drawers and the drawers will pullout sideways; i.e., perpendicular to the line of travel of the pullout itself. It needs to be that way because a makeup table juts out from the vanity, pullout is under it and sideways is the only way to reach the drawers.

It is a pretty simple thing, actually...mahogany face frame for the drawers, two poplar frames, one at each end of the FF, pullout front attaches to one, a piece of ply for the unseen one.

I made GREAT Sketchup drawings, knew exactly what I needed and the dimensions. So why did I make FOUR poplar frames when I only needed two? Beats me.

Then there is the mahogany face frame...top rail is 1 3/4" wide, bottom is

2" (I needed wider for the pullout's metal slide). I was going to - and did - join stiles and rails with half laps; naturally, I cut 2" laps in the stiles at both top & bottom and naturally the top rail wound up too low. The top rail now has a narrow decorative inlay a bit below it but at least it is where it should be.

Next, the drawers. Inset drawers. Great opportunity for more screwups. As I said, I should just hire Leon.

Reply to
dadiOH

Are you familiar with CutList 4.0? AND CutList Plus?

CutList 4.0 is a plug in for Sketchup and it will generate a cut list, how many pieces from which board and their sizes. It will also import your data into CutList Plus, a similar program however it lets you really manipulate which pieces come out of what boards. The important thing is that CutList 4.0 takes all dimensions of all selected components and goes from there.

I don't think I could function with out Sketchup, CutList 4.0, and CutList Plus.

And I take printed lists and drawings to the shop.

Reply to
Leon