I screwed up - suggestions for a fix??

I know that none of you make mistakes but I have made one and I would like suggestions about how I might correct it. I have face glued a 3" by 22" piece of plywood to a fairly wide piece of birch plywood. At this point in the project, I can not easily disassemble my project so I am faced with trying to somehow pry off the 3"x 22" piece. If I can do it I am quite sure this will mess up the faces of both pieces of plywood but this is internal to my project so there are no points for looks but lots of points for functionality. Any clever ideas for me?
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:50:19 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

I don't think you're going to pry it off.
Can you destroy the glue (what sort is it ?) without hurting the timber? Otherwise I'd try to machine _through_ the excess part (probably with a router on skates) and work down to the original surface.
You can't often dismantle things. So it's best to accept you're going to break _something_, pick which one to lose and then really trash it, without hurting the other.
--
Smert' spamionam

The glue is Elmer's Carpenter's Glue (yellow interior glue). Unfortunately I only have 5" to work in so I can't get a router in there. :-(
Dick Snyder responds:

Mix some vinegar with water, warm a bit and drip the mix along the glue line. Give it time to soak in, pry a little, drip some more, etc. Plain yellow glue should let it come off that way.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
Glue is degraded by heat. Try using a hot air gun on a lowish setting or perhaps a steam wallpaper stripper and work slowly along the strip, gently levering with a sharp paint scraper or somesuch as you go.
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Data/Materials/GlueTest/gluetest.html
and
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Structural/NewFingerBoard/85hd28board.html
may give you food for thought.
Cleaning up the glue afterwards could be a problem.
HTH
Frank

Like our school nurse said, "Go home and soak it".

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:50:19 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

set up a router with a straight bit at the depth of the thickness of the 3x22. make cuts that leave behind just enough to ride the router on, more or less a checkerboard pattern. bust off the remainder with a chisel and clean up with a belt sander.
Thanks for the help from all of you. I got it off with a heat gun and a LOT of chisel work. No room to use any power tools in that space.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:35:45 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

Well you screwed up there ! - That was the perfect excuse to buy yourself a Fein Multimaster. Shiny new toy, fits into your 5" space and would have sawn it off in no time.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id "785&recno6
--
Smert' spamionam

If you've got several hundred quid to spare!!
I wish...
Frank

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:40:41 +0100, "Frank McVey"

That's the 300 SuperCut. The Multimaster is 150, which starts to look affordable for some jobs. I'd love to know just how much difference there is between these.
--
Smert' spamionam