i screwed up

I applied Minwax stain on an interior door using a foam brush. I didnt wipe off excess stain, however, thinking that it would be absorbed by the grain. Needless to say, that didnt happen and now there are shallow "pools" of dried Minwax on the door. I tried steel wool and a palm sander to get this gunk off but neither worked. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
MitchA

Varsol, or any other soft petroleum based thinner. A trick I saw done once, the painter slapped on some more stain..waited a few minutes, and it dissolved the stain underneath.... then he wiped the whole mess off.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, don't do that! :)

Don't know for sure, fortunately I never did that....I'd try rubbing out w/ mineral spirits and see if could manage to soften/rub out at least some of the excess.

I suppose this is one of the luan flat panel doors? Anyway, what is the wood? Knowing that would possibly aid w/ some clues. If it is one of the open-pored woods like luan or oak, for example, it's so deep into the pores as to make sanding out, for example, impossible. Harder, hard woods possibly can help...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The gunk will probably just gum up paper quickly. Try a card scraper to get the majority of it off, then sand.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Definitely try the "slap more on" trick. This is the same idea that you use on a dry-erase whiteboard. If the marker gets dried on, simply color over it and the solvent in the ink cleans off the old. Don't try sanding, what will happen is if you concentrate the sanding on the areas where the excess stain is, you will sand the stain and end up with a nice depression where you sanded... Also, keep in mind that the stain soaks into the wood. It isn't like paint that is just on top. To remove the stain, you will have to remove all the wood that has absorbed the stain.

Reply to
woodworker88

MitchA ( snipped-for-privacy@Mabaza.com) wrote on Friday 15 April 2005 07:17 am:

Hey, I did almost the same thing, except with the wipe-on gel! Anyway, remove it with paint stripper. That works pretty good at getting the worst of it off. Then use some MEK to strip of any remaining excess. Finally, go over it again with the stain to even things out, making sure to wipe any excess this time (like you need to be told that). You should end up in pretty good shape after that. The only thing I had problems with were inside corners, but given that you're working on a door, you shouldn't have that problem.

Reply to
Michael White