"I Pulled Out Of Pittsburg Headin' Down The Eastern Seaboard..."

Page 2 of 3
cm wrote:

Sort of. We'd still pay taxes, which means some of the money would end up in the hands of the Democrats...
Tim,
That's funny as heck!!!
cm

cm wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8sX10_4

Agreed, but it still wouldn't be an alternate source. Just another hole in the ground. Is Platform B really an alternate source to Platform C, even though they are parked side by side in the Gulf?
At the risk of getting caught up in semantics, maybe it's the old alternate vs alternative chapter from my Elements Of Style booklet.
We need to focus on alternative sources, not alternate (finite) sources.
I think I got that right this time....
It's always those dang semantics that always get me....... How about those summer dresses? Saw another good one the other day. My wife has also went back to the occasional summer dress after three years of cancer treatment. Damn good to have her back.
cm
wrote:

[...]

You do realize that the USA gets more of it's oil from Canada than from any other source, right! And while some of us are at times ambivalent to the US most of us don't hate you ;).
Doug Brown wrote:

+1 For a Strunk & White reference. Bravo!

OK, grammar correct (I think), but it's arguable that this is still in the fantasy stage.

As a recovering Canadian, I know the US is held with sort of mix of bemusement, irritation, and love - kind of like how our spouses probably see us. OTOH, I'd much rather send my money North than to pests like Chavez...
Uh, take off ya hoser ... get a new tuke ...

I'm just saying that ANY proposal will take years before it's useful. The only short term fix is to reduce consumption. Carpool, telecomute, etc.
Maxwell Lol wrote:

Carpooling doesn't work for people who are on-call.
Try to fix a busted pipe by telecommuting.
--John

If you can't think of any more examples, I can offer a few. That's what the "etc." means.
Maxwell Lol wrote:

I can think of plenty of examples where it is not an option. Most of my working life I have had jobs where I worked irregular hours and don't go to the same place every day, I ride a motorcycle anytime there's not snow or ice on the road and I don't have to carry more than it can handle, and people still preach at me about how I should be carpooling and telecommuting and the like.
I've gotten to the point that I am just plain sick and tired of people preaching about this crap. It's a band-aid for the lack of foresight that let us remain dependent on fossil petroleum even though nuclear has been a viable alternative for baseload power for half a century.
--John

In a similar vein as Clarke's response, carpooling doesn't work for people who walk to work, children who don't drive. Carpooling doesn't work for bus-drivers either...or truckers..and more of such silly shiat. I kid, I kid....
The europeans, and other people in countries elsewhere, haven't had the 'luxury' of wasting energy, for a long time already. They have developed some good ideas, like electrification and high speed railroads. Expensive you say? ... naaaa, you can do a lot with 700 billion. I absolutely agree on reducing consumption. A lot of that can be done immediately, but what is lacking is the mindset. Too many people (myself included) don't want to have to deal with missing the bus are having to rush like crazy to make the train on time. But freight? Easily handled by rail... at least a great big chunk of it. There is a network in place already that can be used while the expansion and electrification is underway. All you have to do is look at what it costs to send a 20 ton 40-foot container from LA to NY via rail and via truck.. in terms of fuel consumed.
But freight? Easily handled by rail... at least a great big chunk of it. There is a network in place already that can be used while the expansion and electrification is underway. All you have to do is look at what it costs to send a 20 ton 40-foot container from LA to NY via rail and via truck.. in terms of fuel consumed.
Locomotives, the original hybrids. V16 and V20 diesels with pistons 10 inches in diameter, turbochargers all to power a generator and a compressor.
Dave in Houston

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/207196main_soyuz_full.JPG

That's a "rocket sled on rails"
From /Convoy/: "Well we rolled up interstate fourty-four "Like a rocket sled on rails
Puckdropper

writes:

*snip*
What do you call trucks carpooling? A train.
If you do something like the road-railers or Triple Crown does, you don't even need to pick the trailer up at a yard. A quiet stretch of tracks would be enough to remove the trailer and send it on to its destination. (I don't know that they ever do this... but...)
Puckdropper

Maxwell Lol wrote:

And some tell me (and others) that this is nonsense, and they can be pumping in far less time than that. Why don't we give them a chance to show us?
Lew Hodgett wrote:

It appears it'll take worse than that - and I wonder how many of the homes built during the housing "bubble" were super-insulated (as compared to the number that barely met minimum code requirements)...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Count yourselves lucky, in the UK diesel is over $2 per /litre/
To fill the 77litre tank of my car costs $172
--
Stuart Winsor

You have not had to fill up a Chevy 2500 truck lately huh Lew ???
With a 32 gallon tank and 3.66, it is a tad more than $100.