"I Pulled Out Of Pittsburg Headin' Down The Eastern Seaboard..."

Page 1 of 3
"...I got my diesel wound up and she's runnin' like never before"
I just spent sixty two dollars to fill up my old F150 8 Cylinder Detroit Iron Slamma Jamma.
That seriously pissed me off.
As an act of revenge I pulled up next to some gay ass sports car looking BMW at the next traffic light. I revved the old bitch up with the obvious intent of blowing the doors off of my temporary european sidekick.
Didn't that little bastard get out of the hole faster than me?
You know what, though? Thanks to the fact that there wasn't another light for about two miles, and also owing to what happens when a low gear ratio shifts out, I sucked the wind out of that little foreign prick about a half mile later and just kept walkin'.
He was a pin point of light when I finally decided to pull off before I got arrested - at 120.
I'm fifty eight years old and should not be playing these kind of games.
I gotta tell you - I really enjoyed that one.
I guess the economy is starting to get to me.
tom
Tom Watson wrote:

You are my new hero ...

"I'm taking little white pills and mhy eyes are open wide."
Tom Watson wrote:

I rather like the George Thorogood cover of this tune ...

Agreed. But it lacks the properly piquant irony.
I'll have to go with the one from my old Ricky album.

And 2 miles down the road you had to stop and get more gas. . . LOL
Well the ICC is checking on down the line I'm a little overweight and my log books are way behind But nothing bothers me tonight, I can dodge all the scales all right Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight
Cheers
Jim

Yeah, but how many people know what a "Georgia overdrive" is?
todd

That was YOU??

"My rig's a little rusty but that don't mean she's slow."
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:30:52 -0700 (PDT), Tom Watson

Well, I pulled out of Pittsburgh, Rollin' down the Eastern Seaboard. I've got my diesel wound up, And she's running like never before. There's a speed zone ahead, all right, I don't see a cop in sight. Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight.
I got ten forward gears, And a Georgia overdrive. I'm taking little white pills, And my eyes are open wide. I just passed a 'Jimmy' and a 'White': I've been passin' everything in sight. Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight.
Well, it seems like a month, Since I kissed my baby good-bye. I could have a lot of women, But I'm not like some other guys. I could find one to hold me tight, But I could never believe that it's right. Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight.
I.C.C. is checking on down the line. I'm a little overweight and my log's three days behind. But nothing bothers me tonight. I can dodge all the scales all right, Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight.
Well my rig's a little old, But that don't mean she's slow. There's a flame from her stack, And the smoke's rolling black as coal. My hometown's coming in sight, If you think I'm happy your right. Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight. Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight. Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight.
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:17:57 -0700 (PDT), Tom Watson

What REALLY burns my butt is when it takes $70 to fill a PT Cruizer!!!

What burns my butt is that I used to be able to run a Lincoln for a month on what it costs to fill up my motorcycle these days.

--John
Tom Watson wrote:

Hope it doesn't take $100/tank before the USA gets serious about developing alternate energy sources, but time will tell.
Lew

I think the elements are in place for alternate energy sources, but viable commercial progress is slow. Right now, it appears to me that the most viable alternate energy is electricity, whether from recovering energy (regenerative braking) or using the sun's energy more wisely.
One area where I think there could be major improvement is utilizing waste heat. Anyone care to install a lava lamp on their tailpipe?
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote:

The technology is in place to use CNG as a bridge fuel for transportation, thus reducing some of the pressure on oil.
Needs a better distribution system to be viable.

I'm a member of the "All options are open" club".
Wind, solar, hydro, hydrogen, etc.
Coal has major possibilities, but also major disposal issues.
Maybe coal gasification?
Even nuclear if the disposal issue is solved; however, stuffing the waste into Yucca mountain leaves a lot to be desired.

About all I remember from my thermodynamics classes is the Mollier diagram (Enthalpy vs Entropy for water) and it's use in analyzing steam generation for electricity generation as well as the basic thermo process for converting fuel into usable mechanical energy (Internal Combustion Engine).
Both were low efficiency (20% was considered good back then) thus very wasteful, but fuel was cheap and emissions were ignored.
Times have changed.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yes. There is a lot of re-thinking being done (and yet to do) - and we're seeing a revival of interest in external combustion engines that can be driven with solar energy without fuel and without emissions.
Puckdropper's comment prompts a quip that "waste heat" is an obsolete term - it's now "recovered", "secondary use", or "foolishly /wasted/ heat". :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I hate to get involved in what is essentially a political thread, but....
Former WA. State governor Dixie Lee Ray (a huge proponent of nuclear energy) once said that we needed to carefully store all of our nuclear waste because sooner or later we would figure out how to extract the remaining energy from it and it would be a tremendously valuable resource.
The thing on nuclear waste is that it is really pretty benign compared to what fossil fuels are doing to us.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Don't expect overnight changes. Some tell me that offshore drilling will take 10 years before we see any impact at the pump.

But that wouldn't be an alternate energy source, That would just be more of the same.
<But that wouldn't be an alternate energy source, That would just be more of the same.>
Not exactly.... every dollar we spend on our own oil would NOT go to someone that hates us.
cm