I ordered the Rikon 18"er

Now that I have ordered the Rikon 18" band saw, are there any recommendations for a mobile base?
I see also that wood craft has Timberwolf blades for 20% off this month.
Leon wrote:

how much does it weigh? If it's under 300 I'll have 1 possible suggestion that works well under my BS and other equip. dave

Net weight 389 lb. IIRC the saw is around 350 lbs.
Leon wrote:

no way for me to recommend the Delta 50-345 Universal Mobile Base Kit then. that saw is too heavy for it. max weight for the 345 is 300 lbs.
Dave
I've used the General International 50-025 base, rated at 500 pounds maximum, for my Delta 14" bandsaw. My saw only weighs about 200 pounds, but I can push it around in my gara-shop with one hand quite easily.
Here's a link: http://www.general.ca/pagemach/acces/universal.html
Here's a link to the place I bought it from (no relation, they're a Canadian based company, but ship to the US, I believe): http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid 408 ($60 CDN, or $51.78 US)
It did take me two tries to put it together properly. Can't remember what I did wrong the first time, but I ended up disassembling a good chunk of it and putting it back together correctly.
--
Clint
"David" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:46:07 GMT, "Leon"

I used the casters off an HTC 2000 and attached them directly to the Rikon base. The complete base will hold the BS but since the base itself is a rigid platform the casters alone make a solid base. Let me know if you want pics. I can send you a link.
TWS

I was think of attaching casters. Pictures would be great. Thank you.
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:17:18 GMT, "Leon"

Posted pics to ABPW. Let me know if you want higher res. TWS

Thank you., If you could e-mail me a higher resolution pic that would be cool also. I have DSL so the size is of no concern.
Than again.
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:46:07 +0000, Leon wrote:

You suck.
If you are really certain you want a mobile base, you could always mount it in the back of my pickup truck. ;-)
Congrats ... I hear nothing but good about that saw.
Bill

No, not yet. I'll be sucking at Christmas and after the saw is assembled and set up.

Yes a mobile base is a must.

And that is exactly what I went by when choosing the saw. Sight unseen. I have the option to take it back if I don't like it.
I made mine Leon... and it sits under a 20" Minimax. Two sheets (pieces) of 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed together and tuba fours cut to receive the ply and hide the edges. Machine bolted to the assembly. Mount adequate casters and away we go! Tom

I'm thinking that might be a way to go also. I have a Northern Freight near by and they have lots of different style casters.

Looks like an excellent choice, Leon. I hope it serves you well. The few reviews I did have a chance to read were very positive.
(on my list it goes...after the new vacuum pump.. or the new nesting software..mmmmm)

I hope so. The local Woodcraft indicated 40 sales in the lst 6 months with no complaints. With the sale this month I have indicated 10 units sold not counting mine.

Nesting Software?
"Leon" wrote in message

Kinda late to be hatching turkey chicks ... parts layout software, like CutList, that gives you a layout and minimizes material waste.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Ohhhh.... thanks.
Hey, I found a saw mill about 90 minutes from Sugarland 10 miles west of Huntsville. It is a small operation and I have 200 bf on order in equal amounts of White and Red Oak. I hope to pick the wood up in 2 or 3 weeks. Seems 99% of the wood is 8' long and is typically with out knots. FAS and Select IIRC. I saw the quality of the rough cuts and I think a pass or 2 through the planer will result in 7/8" to 15/16" thick boards faced on 2 sides. Air dried and kiln dried to finish up. $1.75 per BF.
"Leon" wrote in message

I am _very_ interested ... if you need help or company on the ride up, let me know.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Here is a link to their site. http://www.mgsawmill.com/index.html