I not understanding this?

Page 1 of 2
Could someone kindly explain to me whats meant by this below?
"If you like extra work but a better finish, then rout a 12mm dado in the one piece"
You see in the UK a *Dado* is the term used for a wooden rail that goes around the walls in a living room of a house.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby (in _Fb_g.38876$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk) said:
| Could someone kindly explain to me whats meant by this below? | | "If you like extra work but a better finish, then rout a 12mm dado | in the one piece" | | You see in the UK a *Dado* is the term used for a wooden rail that | goes around the walls in a living room of a house.
US Dado => UK Rebate
said:

Jim
Jim wrote:

Thats true but I'm familiar with 90% of American terminology.
ps You spell color wrongly...its colour. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:17:14 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Yeah and furthermore there isn't any *c* in schedule...:)
said:

I learned that in shool.
todd
<...snipped...>

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:34:08 -0400, Joe Bemier

And there's no "f" in lieutenant.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

It's called an "invisible letter". Like the "P" in bath.
--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.
said:

unsuccessful) campaign to rid US English of "silent" letters such as this. Some newspaper in Chicago attempted even more changes for the sake if change. Fortunately, most of these efforts came to naught. Jim

said:

No, we can thank Daniel Webster for outwitting the Devil. We can thank Noah Webster for our fine command of the English language. Henri
<...snipped...>

    A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s," and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.
Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c," "y" and "x"--bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez--tu riplais "ch," "sh," and "th" rispektivli.
Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

I use rabbet for rebate pretty regularly, and I may use a dado stack to cut one, but I don't call a rebate (or rabbet) a dado.
JP
Jay Pique (in snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com) said:
|| The3rd Earl Of Derby (in || _Fb_g.38876$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk) said: || ||| Could someone kindly explain to me whats meant by this below? ||| ||| "If you like extra work but a better finish, then rout a 12mm dado ||| in the one piece" ||| ||| You see in the UK a *Dado* is the term used for a wooden rail that ||| goes around the walls in a living room of a house. || || US Dado => UK Rebate | | I use rabbet for rebate pretty regularly, and I may use a dado | stack to cut one, but I don't call a rebate (or rabbet) a dado.
aol :-)
Morris Dovey wrote:

Thank you.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Greetings...FWIW I have seen the word "housing" used like the word dado in UK magazines....
hope this helps...
DCH
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

A dado is also a cross-grain groove. Long-grain grooves are just grooves.
It's not a rebate (or rabbet) -- they're removing one corner, so as to make an open-sided groove.

Or plows.
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Do you mean ploughs?
The dado (from the latin Datum) is the face of an architectural feature (such as a column or wall which is the main structure).
The dado rail defines the top of the dado and the skirting defines the bottom.
North American definition of a dado is a groove formed to accept the edge of another board.
ref: Oxford dictionary.
phil wrote:

Nope he means Plow as is the correct word for his homeland. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite