I need your advice, please respond.

Hello woodworkers,
Recently I went looking for an armrest for my wife's Chevy Tracker. I couldn't find one, so I think I will embark on making a custom center console for her vehicle.
I was wondering what type of wood or board you would recommend, and any advice you could give me that would help me with this ambitious project.
Thanks
Jason.
Since you don't put the subject in your subject line, how would anyone know who shoud respond?
Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a
"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light

I like oak for a natural wood or stained look. If you are going to paint it when you are done, use poplar. Both are available at home depot.
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:02:54 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

If he's going to paint it, I would use birch plywood, or even MDF, as both are much more stable than poplar.
Barry
I used white oak for cup holder for GMC SUV, polyu over.
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 02:25:57 GMT, "Jason Purcell"

Make cardboard templates, even a cardboard mock-up, to make sure of the fit.

For "ambitious" projects, I like to use cheap wood - pine, poplar, home center "white wood". Then when I've found all the gotcha's and opportunities for error, I do it over with something nice, using the cheap version as a template.
John
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 02:25:57 GMT, "Jason Purcell"

Thick corrugated cardboard.
Then when you're really happy with the design, 3/8" birch plywood.