I need to get another portable planer fast what one though?

Page 1 of 2

I got to get one tomorrow as I use it everyday and can't do the job without it. The rubber on the roller of my delta 22-560. it seems most of the delta's have this same front roller. I do some weird things like I plane wood where there is a 1" block of wood endgrain glued to the end of face grain. I think that when the block stuck up past the surface it ended up snagging the rubber and tearing it. It took about a year to kill the rest of the rubber. I don't have a lot of choices locally. Delta is the most available and in my price range ShopMaster 12 1/2" Portable Planer with Stand #TP400LS
This about the same one I just had. I wonder if it uses the same dust hood? Knowing delta I would need another one. There is the ryobi at the borg but I just doubt it will hold up to several times a day use. None of the dewalt planers are around here but that expensive 13" they have now. I can get the jet for 400.00 locally but I have to get another hood for it. So it would be 450.00 unless the dc hood is less then retail. If anyone knows of anyone who carries the dewalt planers here in Portland Oregon let me know.
Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
I know a couple of general contractors who have porty planers from harbor freight, and seem to feel like they are a good value for the money, albeit disposable machines. they do work, they lack a bit in fit and finish, prolly aren't worth repairing when something does go wrong... but both of the guys I know who have them seem to think they are getting their money's worth.
I think my next planer will be cast iron and not portable.

Hi Steve, I'm sure you've tried Tool Peddler, but have you looked at Western Tool? <http://www.westerntool.com/
I know Woodcraft is a haul for you but it appears they may have the DeWalt 12 1/2" planer: <http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=planer
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

The shopmaster is a lot less planer than your 22-560. It also doesn't have a height lock, if I recall.
If you can get Ryobi, can't you get Ridgid also? Most users seem to be satisfied with their Ridgid planers.
Are you going to try to replace the feed roller in your Delta? Its a shame to have to abandon a planer because of a feed roller.
Bob

never used the high lock though. there are advantages to working with small pieces of wood (G)

some reason they have it on the webpage but not in the store.

yes I was thinking of replacing it for a second machine or sell it on ebay once finxed if it does not cost too much. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:07:59 -0700, Steve knight

The Lowes here in Pittsburgh carry the DeWalt 735. I believe that the Home Depots also have it, but not real sure. Tool Crib had a reman DW735 for $349, but I see you need it now, not shipped from somewhare.
Dave Hall

Yes I sw it at that price too. I debated on signing up for the 79.00 program that lets you do 2 day shipping cheap but the planer would only ship ground. but it may be too big for what I do. I can run 5" pieces through the delta I doubt the bigger machines would handle that. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
Steve, I bought the DW735 a couple weeks ago from the woodcraft in Tigard and haven't been disapointed. I think several Home Depots also carry it. Acme construction on MLK had the smaller model when I was looking for the DW735. I had a small Delta planer prior to the DeWalt and have been entirely impressed with the DeWalt. I was planning on using it as a stop gap until I can afford or justify the cost of a larger stationary machine, but now that I have it up and running I don't know if and when I will need a bigger machine. If you are interested in playing with one prior to purchase I live in SE and would be willing to let you come give it a try
Andrew
Steve knight wrote:

Steve, you might also want to check w/ Jim in the Houston area--he should have a whole stable from which to choose by now inexpensively enough to afford fast freight... <VBG>
(Sorry, couldn't help myself...)
I've got the 735, and you are correct to suspect that it isn't built for shorter pieces. I think they recommend a minimum of 12", but if I remember right I can go down to around 9" or so safely. Plus at almost 100lbs, 'portable' doesn't really describe this beast.
-John

Keep in mind that most portable planers now have those darn disposable blades which may not do well with the very hard woods that you use daily. If your Delta has the disposable blades then that may not be a concern but if it has the resharpenable blades like my old Ryobi you might want to consider stepping up.

acutely they have not been a issue. I get maybe three months per side on the blades. they actually cost less then sharpening too. the planer does so well on tropical's that I can push the blades till they are really dull and the machine is pretty noisy. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes

I keep forgetting that replacements are about the cost of resharpening. I resharpen mine on my Tormek.

I doubt I would trust too many home machines for such a task. plus just the time involved in the process. the delta the only hard part of changing the knives is getting them out. once out the new one drops in and you tighten it down. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes

You still have the Makitas? The jig works a treat.

Well the Tormek costs more than the planer it self. LOL.. But the job takes me about 1 hour start to finish including sharpening the kitchen knives and clean up. My particular planer has an adjustment bar that you attach the knifes to. It correctly positions the knives and remains attached so that there is no adjustment when attaching the blade assemblies to the planer. Accurate knife changes take about 15 minutes.

1.5 hours no thanks. sounds like me doing the jointer knives (G) thank god for helical carbide cutter heads (G) Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes

I do not leave the machine set up. The actual sharpening time after set up about 20 minutes.

I've been really pleased with the Ridgid TP1300 I bought at the Borg. It's heavier than the Deltas you mentioned, and generally cheaper, too. Comes with a stand and dust hood included, as well as a second set of two-sided blades.
When I did something stupid with it last winter, it chewed a set of drive gears, rather than anything expensive. I spent $19, including FedEx, for three, so now I have two spares.
I've used the Delta at the Adult Ed, and it takes unbelievable abuse, but I wouldn't trade the Ridgid for it.
BTW, that last little plane you made for me is REALLY SWEET!
Patriarch
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:37:00 -0500, Patriarch

I wanted to check it out but the store does not carry it on hand. I got the delta and it is exactly the same as my old one. uses the same dust hood and knives. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes