I need to find replacement Soss concealed hinges.

I bought a nice little telephone stand/cabinet at an auction sale. It's in good shape accept for the fact that it has a broken hinge. From what I can tell it has Soss concealed/invisable hinges. The hinges are slighly morticed into the doors. I can get replacement hinges from Rockler, but at $25.00 (set) U.S. plus shipping I was hoping to find them at a more discounted price. Does anyone know of a web site, or hardware store in the U.S. that carries the Soss type of hinges? From what I could find on the net they are going to be expensive.

What other type of hinge could be used if you don't want it to be seen on the outside of the cabinet?

Thanks,

Steve

They're actually _not_ that much more expensive than other cabinet hinges _of_similar_quality_. There's just no such thing as a 'budget' SOSS hinge;

Pretty much any Ace Hardware can get them. They probably don't stock 'em -- though I know of a couple of "real" hardware stores (100-year-plus family operations) that bought into the Ace co-op, who _do_ stock several of the smaller sizes.

Google for 'soss hinge', you'll come up with a *bunch* of mail-/online-order places.

My Woodworkers Hardware 2004 catalog lists the entire SOSS line. From the application, I'm guessing they're #203s, which have a price of $13+/pair (There's also a #204 which is bigger, at $17+/pair. there's also a #103, which is a bit smaller, at circa $11/pair.) Anything bigger than a 204 requires more than 3/4" thick stock.

The 'generic' name is a 'concealed hinge'. SOSS hinges, and "bullet' hinges are unique in that they are _totally_ concealed -- from *either* side of the door opening.

Blum, and others make hinges that are invisible from the _outside_, but they take up a bunch of space _inside_ the cabinet.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Steve:

Call Superior Distributing Indianapolis In 1-800-622-4462 they should have them in stock at a good price Good luck, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

If by "bullet" hinges you mean the ones that fit into a drilled hole and are held by an expansion screw, I've been meaning to try them on a project.

Any secrets to getting the holes aligned? Dowel centers come to mind.

Any other gotcha's or tips I should know about?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

A _good_ doweling jig is even better.

Read the installation directions that come with the hinge *carefully*. The 'maximum offset' from the surface of the door is a _real_ limit -- set the hinge too far back, and it will bind when opening.

Oh yeah -- when placing hinges in _unfinished_ stock, be sure to allow for the thickness of any finish build-up on the surface of the stock. I did a folding panel ('japanese screen' type) once, where I forgot to account for the thickness of the wallpaper I was covering it with. Oops!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

One poster

I paid about $4.00 a 10mm hinge for the bullet hinges, and I would like to put a bullet in whoever makes them, as it was crap. First one of the 4 broke, and those are a BITCH to get out. Then there is the issue of slop in the mechanism, makes the jewelry box they are in look like a hack job.

I've shown it to Steve Knight and bitched about those hinges.

I wish I had used the slot type which are larger and supposed to be better built.

Another poster

The mortise hinges are available at Lowes fairly frequently in their specialty furniture fasteners section. I do not know the quality of them there.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W