I Need advice on tool purchases

I purchased the 734. I dont think it has the fancy blower, but I dont know. Sounds cool though!

Andy

Reply to
Andy H

Except half the $.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I bought the Dewalt 733 a few years ago. I think the only difference between it and the 734 is that the 734 uses three blades and mine only has two. But having said that, I have tried using my shop vac with my

733 and it is a complete waste of time on boards wider than about shop vac hose width (2 1/4"). The shroud that comes with the machine has the 4" fitting and I had to get a reducer to the shop vac. That reducer clogs in about 3 seconds (or less) and then the chips all go . . .where ever the hell they want. Now I have the additional task of cleaning out the the reducer too.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

So your saying dont bother with the shop vac? Just sweep up afterwards. Ill be squirreling away pennies for my DC.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy H

afterwards.

A push broom, a flat blade shovel, and a couple of 30 gal garbage cans takes care of my 733 very nicely.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In my experience, if I am planing boards wider that about 2 1/2" in width then yes, the shop vac is a COMPLETE waste of time. However, I have found that a garage-blower-outter (aka leaf blower) does a fine and quick job of removing the shavings from my garage. :-) (Or a foxtail, push broom, large dust pan, and 30 gal garbage can does just fine too.)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Mon, Dec 3, 2007, 12:17pm snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Andy=A0H) i dont have a jointer or planer but I dont have much need for them at this moment.

You'd be surprised.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

ONE OF EACH!!

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I would put a good router at the top of the list followed by the dust collector. In my shop the most used tools in order are roughly:

Dust collector (because I use it with everything) Table saw Router Drill press Band saw Jointer Planer

Forrest blades are indeed terrific, but there are some other excellent saw blades which are slightly less costly.

Honestly I wouldn't want to do much woodworking without a pretty full complement of equipment. I don't put many hours on the jointer and planer, but I wouldn't want to try and work without flat and squared stock. I've never seen store bought "S4S" stock which is actually flat and square.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I have a small shop in my garage and I use a shop vac for my dust collection and have adapters to hook up to different tools.I have two routers,one for hand use and a more powerful one for the router table.I like a router that has a soft start feature and variable speed control and both bases for the one I use by hand.The more you use routers the more uses you will find they can do.Buy or make your router table but your fence needs multiple ajustments which are not available on all products for sale.Use a dust collector on your fence,and make a small cabinet for your table and you can put a dust port on it as well.Routers produce a lot of dust but this method greatly reduces the mess.

Reply to
bnsjb