I need a strong metal part

I need some help in getting to the right vendor and in specifying exactly w hat I need.

I've purchased an articulating arm hollowing system for my woodturning lath e. The articulating arm is attached to the ways of the lathe on a two-part base. The ways are sandwiched between the bottom and top pieces. The bot tom piece isn't wide enough to capture both of the ways.

I need a new piece of steel measuring 2 1/2 by 5 inches by 1/4 inch thickne ss with a hole tapped in the center. I assume a machine shop could do this for me. Is there a particular steel I should be asking for? What's a fair price for something like this?

Dumb questions, I know, but metal is the reason I work with wood .

Larry

PS: Yes, I asked the company that sells this system for suggestions and he suggested I angle the bottom piece so it catches both ways. That may work, but the potential stresses could result in a catastrophic accident.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

If you have the room, why not just go to a welding shop and ask them to cut you a piece of 1/4" steel in the size you need, drill a hole (slightly larger than the one in the existing bottom plate and use it as a rectangular "washer" with the existing one (and threaded hole) beneath it.

If that doesn't work in your application, I doubt the difference in steel commonly available to you is going to make much difference. If you're still worried... buy 5/16" or 3/8" steel and you should be good to go.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Do you have any drafting skills, or use a program like SketchUp?

I often need steel parts fabricated for construction projects and have found that making a dimensioned drawing, no matter how simple the part, is the key to getting what you want from a machine shop, makes things go much smoother, therefore you are liable to be charged less.

Material shouldn't be too much as a 1/4" steel plate, 12"x48", way more than you need, can be had for around $50, and you're basically talking a piece of scrap for a machine shop.

Labor varies by region, but +/- $45/hour around here.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Yep, agree that a drawing is the key. Price along with the fore mentioned... should not be more than 50 to 75 bucks. I you have a community college with a metal shop, you may be able to get them to make it for next to nothing.

Reply to
Morgans

Perhaps the bottom plate from the regular tool rest would fit (with it's bolt)?

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks, friends. I finally remembered that a buddy of mine owns a recycling yard. A visit this morning yielded a 6x6 piece of 1/4 stainless steel and 15 minutes with my grinder got me exactly what I need. Cost -- 2 gallons of gas.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:53a256a4$0$26735$ snipped-for-privacy@ngroups.net:

I can't see the original post so replying to this one...

If you can drill and tap the hole yourself you can buy one online from

and have it shipped to you. The price for 2.5x5x.25 cold rolled steel cut to size is $11.93 plus shipping. You'll spend more for gas hunting around.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Gramps,

If you are on owwm.org ask sqneck your questions. Maybe post a picture or two of the item in question. I am certain you will get a good answer / advice.

Mike > I need some help in getting to the right vendor and in specifying exactly what I need.

Reply to
mungedaddress