I need a formula for segmenting a circle

I can't remember the formula for the life of me. If a dish is almost 3 ft across and I want to segment it like an orange into 10 segments how do I calculate how wide each will be at the rim? So I end up with a dish that has 10 sides.:)

I'm math clueless.

Reply to
Burt

perimeter = pi * diameter = 3.1415926 * 3 = 9.42478 ft

Or, just measure around and divide by 10...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

perimeter = pi * diameter = 3.1415926 * 3 = 9.42478 ft

Or, just measure around and divide by 10...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Try these sites, hope something here helps.

Reply to
Derrick

Thanks. I can't measure around because it ain't made yet. I need to cut ten pieces of steel to form a ten sided form that will fit exactly inside a 3 foot circle. I need the distance between the points as a straight line. so if it section is shaped like a bow I need the length of the string. Does this make any sense?

Reply to
Burt

| I can't remember the formula for the life of me. | If a dish is almost 3 ft across and I want to segment it like an | orange into 10 segments how do I calculate how wide each will be at | the rim? | So I end up with a dish that has 10 sides.:) | | I'm math clueless.

Burt...

Each of the sides will be 36" * sin(360 degrees / 20) or approximately

11-1/8"

Morris Dovey

Too much work and I don't get the same answer anyway. (PI * 36 / 10) = PI * 3.6 = 11.3097312 etc. etc. etc. Significantly more than 1/8 inch difference, it's over 11 1/4 inches.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

but he said "dish". I suspect he needs the other sides's dimension as well. More information is necessary to figure it out. How deep is the dish and does it have an elliptical section or is it part of a sphere? What is the dish for exactly? There are myriad possibilities when you say dish so there is no way to give a (complete) correct answer...

Phil Davis

247PalmBeachRE.com
Reply to
Phil

| On 2005-06-27, Morris Dovey wrote: || Burt (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said: || ||| I can't remember the formula for the life of me. ||| If a dish is almost 3 ft across and I want to segment it like an ||| orange into 10 segments how do I calculate how wide each will be ||| at the rim? ||| So I end up with a dish that has 10 sides.:) ||| ||| I'm math clueless. || || Burt... || || Each of the sides will be 36" * sin(360 degrees / 20) or || approximately 11-1/8" | | Too much work and I don't get the same answer anyway. (PI * 36 / | 10) = PI * 3.6 = 11.3097312 etc. etc. etc. Significantly more than | 1/8 inch difference, it's over 11 1/4 inches.

Not too much work if your calculator has trig functions. My Windows calculator came up with 11.124611797498107267682563018581", which misses 11-1/8 by only 0.0004".

Pi * 36 / 10 would be the arc length of the segment, while 36*sin(18) is the chord length. The difference is

0.18512175542514839078295316122472", somewhere near 3/16" - so the extra effort may be worthwhile :-)

Morris Dovey

Phil...

Burt also wrote:

I interpreted this to mean he wanted the straight line distance between adjacent points on a circle. Since circles are planar objects, I don't think deformations of the 10 segments enter into /this/ calculation, but I could be wrong ( and frequently am :-)

Morris Dovey

Each segment will be 11.125" wide.

Reply to
CW

Morris that is exactly what I need. Beyond my figuring skills and it has to be exact. :) Each of the points has to touch the inside of the 3 foot circle.

Reply to
Burt

Send me an email and I will send you a CAD drawing. Exact to 8 decimal places (though the answers you got here are correct). Thought you might want something on "paper". Will send as PDF.

Reply to
CW

The arc length = (diameter*pi)/10 The chord length = (sin 18 degrees)*diameter which is .309016994*diameter

For other circle splitting, the arc length is (diameter*pi)/ # of equal segments. The chord length is (sin 180/# of equal segments)*diameter.

For the 3' example the arc length is .942477796... feet or 11.30973355... inches. The chord lengths are .92705098... feet and 11.1246118... inches. The units and accuracy you require are up to you.

I hope I got all the parentheses right.

TW

Reply to
bhochman

Your answer is to a question that was not asked. Had the OP asked what the length of the exterior of the segment was you would have been correct. However the OP asked how wide the segment would be. The widest part would be the distance between the two closest points of that triangle shaped segment. That distance between those two points is approximately 11.125".

Reply to
Leon

often read your posts and you have some good solutions to the various problems posted.

While a few others here were using their math skills, I cheated and used my CAD software to draw the problem and arrived at the length of (rounded) 11.125".

Phil

Reply to
Phil

LOL... well at least you kept at until you got it right. I used AutoCAD for the answer. :~)

Reply to
Leon

If you need the straight line distance between the points here is how I would solve it.

  1. Find the Radius, 36" /2 = 18"
  2. Find the angle of the wedge, 360 degrees / 10 segments = 36 degrees
  3. Divide that wedge in half, using the resulting triangle you can find 1/2 the point to point distance.

  1. The triangle has a angle of 18 degrees and adjacent side of 18"

  1. Tan (18) * 18 = 5.85" which is the opposite side of the triangle and
1/2 the point to point distance.
  1. 5.85 * 2 = 11.70"

Nate

Reply to
Nate Weber

bah to all that, I'm wrong.

Nate

Reply to
Nate Weber

Correction:

  1. The triangle has a angle of 18 degrees and hypotenuse of 18" 5. Sin (18) * 18 = 5.56" which is the opposite side of the triangle and 1/2 the point to point distance. 6. 5.56 * 2 = 11.12"

Nate

Reply to
Nate Weber