I need a chop saw or compound miter saw...

Page 2 of 2

I rarely use my CMS for anything but rough cutting. If I have to make miter cuts I use my TS and if the stock is too long for the TS, then I might use the CMS but I haven't had that problem yet.
If you really want to spend money, you could go with the following:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
They have them at Home Depot too but I think that they are around $900 there. I did play with it and it is very nice and very accurate but I think that if I was going to lay out that much money for any saw, I would get a new cabinet saw first.
Allen

That's the saw I have. Shortly after I bought it a friend bought a Bosch. I prefer the Bosch. Before someone asks why, it's nothing I can really put my finger on it's just the feel of the machine.
Max
rich wrote:

If you're not interested in a new Chicago Electric model at 20% of the price you're willing to pay for a Bosch - and considering that a miter saw has gotten zero use at your shop to date and will continue at about that rate for the foreseeable future, keep your eye peeled on your local Cragislist.
I see quality and almost-quality miter saws (Craftsman, Makita, etc.) quite regularily.
There's really not a lot that can go wrong with a miter saw.

I have one of those HF SCMS's I'll sell you. It's about to be replaced with a Bosch, barring a better deal.

An SCMS is a little more complicated than a miter saw. Likely, to break, no. Possible to destroy, certainly.

I have a 12" DeWalt. I've never had the need for a slider. Also important is a good blade. The blade that came with the saw was OK, but after sharpening by Ridge Carbide, it is excellent.
"rich" wrote:

----------------------- After you have built the usual collection of sleds for your table saw (box joints, dado, zero clearance cross cut, panel trimming, and probably a 45 degree for picture frames), your use of a miter saw will probably be limited to cross cutting finished stock to length.
As such a 12" blade is nice but not mandatory, a slider unnecessary and it will probably spend most of it's life locked in the 90 degree position.
Pick one that floats your boat.
IMHO. sleds are much more functional for less $$.
Lew

This thread brings up an interesting point. What do we consider essential, desirable, luxury in the tool shed? If all you could have is 3 power tools, motorized that is, stationary or handheld what would they be?

Table saw, CMS, and power screwdriver set. (Ok, maybe I'm cheating a bit with the set... It's just so much more efficient to have a drill AND a driver.)
Runners up include a router and a sander (belt/disc combo). These 5 tools will allow you to build 90% of the projects out there and still have a decent result.
Add the planer, jointer, and drill press and the same projects can be built nicer, faster, and with more precision. It'll be a noticable step up.
Puckdropper

On Aug 30, 11:15am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I would have thought a router to be essential. Drill/driver, sure. Track saw? That'd be my 3 followed immediately by a Rotex sander. We won't count the vacuum as a power tool.

It's tied for 4th on my list, but I simply don't use it that much. There's nothing wrong with square edges (with the sharp edges knocked down with some sand paper), and most the time I need material removed from the center of the wood it's a drilling operation.
If you're doing things like sink cut outs, I could see where a router (or a Bosch jigsaw) would be essential.
Puckdropper

On 8/30/2010 3:40 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Right now if I had to limit myself to three it would have to be the drill press, band saw, and table saw. A couple of years ago it would have been Skilsaw, impact driver, and Multimaster. Two years down the road, who knows?
On 8/30/2010 4:53 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Those three would be my choice as well. The drill press was one of the first "big" tools I bought and it continues to be one of the most useful.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

So, er, ah, what, it's a...sex toy?
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
On 8/30/2010 11:15 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Would a Shopsmith be cheating?
On 8/30/10 12:45 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Do you have one? Do you like it? The people I know who have had them have spent more time switching the thing from one operation to another than using it. Also, I'm guessing you could get the same quality in individual tools for the same or less $$.
honestly asking...
--

-MIKE-

On 8/30/2010 2:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

The hypothetical case was that you could have only three power tools. In that scenario Shopsmith becomes attractive and that leaves me wondering what I'd do for the other two.
What would _your_ three tools be?
On 8/30/10 4:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Table saw, router table and cordless drill/driver, since that's what gets the majority of my time, now. If we're not counting hand tools, then I'd add a lathe, since with all the attachments I've made for it, it's sort of my shopsmith. :-)
--

-MIKE-

220V wire feed welder, table saw, mill drill.