I Made Art

Well, going by some of the so-called "art" in some of my wood books, it's art anyway. It sure looks better than most of the stuff that's supposed to be "art".

Actually, it's a further adaptation of the octaon cutting jig/bandsaw sled I'd made a week or so ago. If it was put in a gallery it'd probably be listed as an abstract wood piece. The people in the real world would say it was a piece of 1/4: plywood, about 9"X9", with a few randoml glued pieces of short and narrow peces of 1/4" plywood glued on. In its own way, it is sort of art, in that it's totally functional, and serves a useful purpose.

It originally started with a three pieces glued on so as to hold a

1 7/8" square in place so one corner could be lopped off with the bandsaw, then the piece turned so another corner, and so on, until it wound up as an octagon. Worked nicely.

But how to cut the squaes was an unanswered question. After numerous thoughts, decided to adapt the original jig/bandsaw sled. Started by gluing a strip across the back, so I could square the end of a piece of scrap plywood - all I need is one corner at a precise 90 dgree angle, which this will give. Then on the front (would need to rotate the jig to present this side to the blade), glued two pieces in place, to hold a piece in place, then slice one side, then another, so wind up with a square. This will let me make a square out of any suitable sized scrap plywood, as long as it has one corner with 90 degree angles, then I can store them until I have a need. Some will be made into octagons, for use as chess piece bases, some as spacers, or whatever else I can think of. Oh yeah, octagon checkers too.

I'll drill a hole in one corner of it, then drive a nail into one of the rafters to hold it when I don't need it. Maybe the best part is that now I won'd even need to think to make my squares, then octagons, just lay the wood in place, and cut. Oh yeah, for each cutting posisiton I put a small block of layered pieces as a holdonto, so none of my fingers will stray into the blade - I try to do something like that on all my jigs/sleds. Gods above, woodworking at it's finest.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 11:02am snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J=A0T) when I did sayeth:

Actually, it's a further adaptation of the octaon cutting jig/bandsaw sled I'd made a week or so ago.

Went out a bit ago and tried it out. Used a bit of scrap OSB. And the blade immediately jumped off the wheels. It had jumped off yesterday, but got it back on in about 30 seconds with no problem, including the time to open the door. Today I almost needed 3 hands and a trained monkey to get it back on. Got the OSB cut, then got it squared, then started cutting the corners off. Blade jumped off the wheels on the last cut, but the octagon looked good. So decided to try some plywood. Got down to the second corner cut and the blade jumped off again. This time left it and went back in the house.

The octagon looked good. But when I measured the flats, found out when I cut the corners off, the cut corners were just a shade less than the others. But the square was dead on. Which means the octagon jig part is just a shade off. No prob, I just need to take a hair off one side and it will be right on. Or, I could just leave it as is, 'cause you can't just look and tell it's a shade off. But I'll check it again after I get the blade back on, with plywood instead of OSB. Plenty accurate, for a slap together jig. I'm pleased.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Why do you feel the need to put scare quotes around "art"?

Reply to
Jeff

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 6:02am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jeff) did posteth: On Nov 28, 11:02 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Well, going by some of the so-called "art" in some of my wood books, it's art anyway. It sure looks better than most of the stuff that's supposed to be "art".

Why do you feel the need to put scare quotes around "art"?

Well obviously it was to try to "scare" you. Apparently it didn't work.

Scare quotes? And you're how old?

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

LOL ... next time just give him a "finger quote". :)

Reply to
Swingman

Why do you feel the need to call quotes, "scare quotes"? The use of quotes is to imply that the word being used is being used in a hypothetical or sarcastic fashion, i.e, that the use of the word "art" is only in a satirical way.

Have the same issue with some signs at work: they are parking signs that read, 'Parking for [company name] vehicles "only"'. I think that whoever put the signs together thought the use of quotes implied bolding or emphasis. I've always been tempted to park in those spots, and then when confronted, point out the fact that since the word only is in quotes, it means that this is just a hypothetical desire and that it is not an imperative. OTOH, I do like my job and it's not really worth having to deal with the rent-a-cops who wouldn't have a clue anyway.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Those would be "air quotes" ...

Jeff

Fri, Nov 30, 2007, 12:56pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jeff) doth posteth: Those would be "air quotes" ...

Air quotes, eh? Would that be two fingers on each hand, or one finger on each hand? How about half an air quote?