I'm pumped - my new shop is coming together

I got rid of the excess shelving in the garage - err - shop, got my 3 mobile tool storage benches done, am working on my 4 folding clamping/work benches.

Next up will be my mobile base/table saw cabinet for the Delta 36-444 contractor saw. SWMBO said, once the shop was finished, if I had room I could start looking for another TS.

Plus my two books came in, Jim Tolpin's "Table Saw Magic" and Fine Woodworkings "Shop Accessories you can Build".

AND I found a great supplier for screws and UHMW - mcmaster.com

AND I went ahead and bought the Delta 16" bandsaw for $125

AND I got free drum for my dust collector from the local culligan man

AND I got a Freud 8" stacked dado set from Lowes for $40.00 - cause it looked like someone opened it, attempted to use it, and returned it (one of the 1/8" chippers was dull and had finger prints on it)

AND I've got $800.00 left in my budget for the other extra tools I need... planning on 2 additional routers, and possibly a thicknessing planer (or I'm going to build a shop-built thicknessing sander like the one in shop accessories you can build)... so, just trying to finish off my list.

Oh, and a local metal shop said I could have all the pallets I want - got one with a 6" x 6" x 6' Cherry post down the center, can't wait to resaw that on the new bandsaw.

Reply to
tillius

tillman wrote:>I got rid of the excess shelving in the garage - err - shop, got my 3

A 16 inch Delta bandsaw for $125??!! You Suck! (unless you mean _scrollsaw_!) Good job on the dado, too. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

On 11 May 2004 17:43:42 -0700, tillman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (tillius) brought forth from the murky depths:

Congrats on getting a shop together.

Using some of that spare $800, make sure you get a metal detector before you cut any pallet wood. It's good to use it on every board before you put a saw blade through it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so *

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, I mean bandsaw - yep, I suck - GLOAT

Reply to
tillius

How did you get a 16" bandsaw for $125?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I like the way that got casually slipped in.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The same way I got my Delta 36-444 contractor saw for $300.00, with a craftsman 12" bandsaw thrown in for free - I got it used.

If I knew I had room in my shop, I'd get the other Delta 36-444 that I found for $225, but SWMBO said not until the shop is finished and I know where I'm going to put it.

Tillman

Reply to
tillius

You suck or I don't know how you find these deals.;-)

tillius wrote:

Reply to
RS

Check for rocks or other mineral deposits before you run your recycled wood through your good priced tools.

I checked for iron particles with a metal detector and the second time I used the joiner with recycled wood (pallet wood, all metal testing was clean) and I trashed the knives. Metal detectors don't find minerals or rocks, pallets collect many things from any ground they have ever been set upon.

Knives are about $60 for Delta, you can buy a fair amount of good wood for $60.

Use a paint scraper then a wire brush followed with a blow off with an air hose and a vacuum of the recycled wood, it might save you $60 for knives.

RS

Reply to
RS

I have heard of people using a belt sander on pallet wood prior to using a jointer or planer. Scott

Reply to
vmtw