I'm outta' glue

Folks,

I typically go through about a gallon of Titebond about every 10 months. I'm needing a new one.

I'm attracted to the longer open time of TBIII, so I'm thinking of making my next gallon TBIII. This would allow me to stock only one yellow glue, and remove the need for having smaller containers of TBII and TB Extend around for those occasions where I need water resistance or longer open time.

Other than the extra $14, which I don't care about when amortized over a bunch of projects, can anyone provide any reasons why I shouldn't use TBIII for everything?

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Check out TITEBOND home page. Details for each glue is given in...

?prodcat=1HTH John

Reply to
John Eppley

Go for it. I've been using III almost exclusively for the past year. Although I do/did have a quart of II left over from previous projects and have lately been using it up before I buy more III.

I like III for its longer open time and lower temperature range use ... although the latter doesn't come in to play here in Texas very often, I actually brought a bottle of II into the house night before last for use yesterday morning due to unseasonably chilly weather.

I would not have felt the need with III.

Reply to
Swingman

I can read all the data sheets I want, but was hoping someone was doing what I want to do. Just to be sure...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

IMHO the shelf life may be shorter on the TBIII than with the TBII.. I had to toss a small container of TBIII that was half full and was about the same age as some TBII. Both were about 2 years old. Franklin sent me a case of small bottles of TBIII and the last bottle went bad. If you are using a gallon every 10 months you should not have a problem.

Reply to
Leon

How did it go bad? I've used TBI and TBII that was several years old and didn't experience any problems with bond strength. The only thing I did was mix a little water back in to get the consistency right.... What am I missing? Will the joints eventually fail?

which leads me to my experience with TBIII, the glue I bought was very thick and difficult to spread. Is this usual? If not I'll water it down a tad and see if it still works correctly.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Or a good reason you may not know... it's extremely "brown" when fully dried? TIZ!

Reply to
AAvK

Not yet,. but I probably will. I like the GF2002 from Lee Valley for interior work, but I sometimes need an outdoor glue. Why carry both when one works well for everything?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It got darker aroung the top of the glue and became hard.

I don't recall the glue being very thick however in the winter it is thicker. TBII is almost too runny during the summer in Houston.

Reply to
Leon

Which beats yellow any time.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly!

Reply to
Ba r r y

Brown like aged golden oak or fresh cut walnut?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Brown like Chocolate Milk

Reply to
Leon

No, more like cherry with mahogany Minwax stain

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't get NYW on my zip code's DirecTV lineup, so I not sure what that looks like.

Do you get CPTV out in your area, or a public station from MA via your cable or dish? CPTV apparently dosen't carry Norm.

Reply to
Ba r r y

We have Eastern CT cable. they give us WGBH out of Boston. as well as the CT station. More options at pledge time that way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is that cable only, or over the air broadcast?

DirecTV dosen't have it, all I get is CPTV, an I don't enjoy UCONN women's (or men's) b-ball.

Reply to
Ba r r y

I go through about a gallon a week - down a bit as I am using more Const Adhesives. Thus, cost is a factor for me. However, were I in your position I would go with III

Reply to
Joe

Especially today, huh?

-- Mark