I'm gonna buy a Grizzly G0444Z. Any comments?

Howdy, folks. After lurking for hours upon hours in this group, I have finally decided to buy a Grizzly G0444Z. I'm brand new to the hobby, and have never used a table saw in my life; but I would like to eventually get into making nice cabinets, bookshelves, end tables, etc., after making a birdhouse or two.

I know I'm just starting, but I do not want the frustration of dealing with a lousy machine when I advance to making furniture for my home. I want the most bang for my buck (obviously), but I don't want to have to open a second mortgage on the house, if you know what I mean, and I think this might be the machine I need. But I figured I might as well submit my decission to the group for a final evaluation from the pros, just in case.

And if anyone has a good suggestion for an unabridged woodworkers reference text, feel free to throw that in too.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike H.

If you can afford it, Rockler has the new Delta industrial cabinet saw for $899. I don't know if you have a Rockler near you or not.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I have no complaints with my G04444Z.

Reply to
Bob

Mike, I don't know the saw, but I'd prefer a left tilt saw. I see that have the same saw available with left tilt in January (lousy timing for Christmas).

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Why a left tilt?

Reply to
Mike H.

Oh boy, now you've done it.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

hey mike, just bought the g0444z and found it to be a great piece of equiment. i have made a few cabinets and a work bench and the saw performed great. good luck.

mike reilly

Reply to
MIKERLLY

For that price, I'd say go with the Grizzly 1023S. (I did and love it) However the G0444Z has had very good reviews.

Note of caution, it sucks some juice though. Make sure your shop has the wiring or be prepared to put it in or have it put in. I believe (without consulting documentation) that it draws 24 amps at 115v or 12 amps at 230v. This isn't some Craftsman with exaggerated hp ratings.

Also, Grizzly doesn't include a blade. Which is probably better, anyway. Most stock blades aren't that good. There is plenty of advice here on blades. I have a Freud combo and love it. I also have a Forrest Woodworker II and don't know yet if I love it. I bought it last week and won't get to use it until next spring probably.

Furthermore, be prepared for it when you get it. Unless they are backordered, you'll probably get it within a few days.

Read a book or two before diving in. Also read safety advice here. Somewhere out there, there is an accident forum that might be a good reality check on the potential dangers of a table saw too. Check it out. As for books, there is no unabridged book AFIK. Get Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic. It is a great book and has some cool jigs. Also, Kelly Mehler's "Table Saw Book" is pretty good. Don't skip the safety advice!

Always, wear eye protection, dust mask, and ear protection. I admit, I often skip the ear protection. I shouldn't and don't advocate it. However, my saw is one hell of a lot quieter than the two Craftsmans that I had before it. I'm not trying to knock Craftsman. They have some great saws. The two I had were not amongst them.

Enjoy,

Eric

Reply to
Rob Dingnagian

Just Kidding! *clears throat*

I have already read all of the posts regarding left-right tilt preferences. Sure are a lot of posts about that! *smiles sheepishly; face turns red*

Reply to
Mike H.

Mike,

If you don't want to spend the $300 or so for a Grizzly or Delta cabinet saw. At least spent the money on a Forrest WWII blade. That should keep you for a while.

I will tell you that if you get into this to make furniture for your home, you will end up buying another saw. At least you can keep the blade.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

You know, I've heard that before. I had a Griz G1022 series before I bought the G1023SL. I built allot of furniture with that 1022 and never bogged it down using a CMT "General" thin kerf blade. I sold it to someone who built a house and a garage and cut a tremendous amount of 2x material with it - he said it went through it with no trouble.

The only thing I didn't care for was that the fence wasn't as nice as I would have liked. Now that I have the 1023SL, I really don't see any difference in quality, but definately a difference in power. Not sure I needed it, but between that and the fact that dust collection is much nicer, I'm glad I moved up.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

You say you don't see a difference in quality. What about with the fence? I don't know what fence is on the 1022. I am waiting for my home refinance to close and am planning on the getting the 1023. I am hoping the fence will be a significant improvement over what I have now.

Steve P.

Reply to
Steven P